Anal pressure after treatment

• 5 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi

So I am 6 weeks post chemoradiotherapy, my skin is healed albeit still very sore  

Pre treatment my cancer placed a lot of pressure around my anus and I struggled to sit comfortably in any position even with a cushion

This feeling lessened during / after treatment though sitting due to skin damage was still an issue after treatment

Over the last few days I have again felt significant pressure which comes on when I am standing but not all the time - it seems to shift for no apparent reason

My thoughts have been possibly hemorroids of which I have a couple or is it a build up of mucus ( I have  stoma) 

I had hoped it would go as quickly as it came but it hasnt so far

Sitting is fine

Any ideas ?  I'm sure there is still lots going on in there

Thank you for reading

• Hi Jo C,

I too am 6 weeks out and I have the same symptoms. I was told it's inflammation from the radiation. I notice the pressure more when I stand and sometimes it's hard and painful to walk. The pressure seems to be lessening a bit these past couple days but is still there. Sometimes the pain is unbearable. My doctor told me things are progressing the way they are supposed to and that I just need more time to heal. Hope you feel better soon. 

• Hi ,

I agree with  that this is possibly inflammation from the radiotherapy. In the early days following my treatment I always knew when I’d been on my feet too long as my inflammation stepped up another level! Having said this I would always advise letting your oncology team know of any new pain/symptoms you’re having even if it’s only so they can make a note of it & also they may be able to advise on something that will ease it. 

Nicola 

• Hi Donna C thank you for taking time to reply  It is very reassuring to know this is not unusual.  Hoping for both our sakes that it eases soon   Are you still feeling fatigued ? I’m more tired now than during treatment. I think I might request a blood test. Take care  Jo xx

• Thank you Nicola I shall certainly take your advice  best wishes xx

• Hi   it's quite common to become anaemic after treatment. I noticed extreme tiredness and dizziness when I had only just done something like walking upstairs. A blood test showed I was anaemic so it's worth you getting this checked out.  Bev