Don’t feel I get the full picture!

• 4 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Not sure if this has happened to anyone else but this whole diagnosis seems to of been hit and miss from the start…I was told about stoma for the cancer before I was told about the cancer! I was then told it was 30mm so T2, now I find that in a letter from my consultation with oncologist it’s a T3N1M0 and is 5.5 cm! Which has thrown me a bit to be honest, I actually start treatment tomorrow which is chemoradiation for 5.5 weeks, is there a huge difference between T2 & T3? 

• Hi ,

The staging can be very confusing. From what I understand it’s the fact that you have 1 lymph node involved that has taken you to  stage 3, stage 2 is a tumour larger than 2cms but with no spread to lymph nodes or other organs, stage 3 is where the tumour has spread into surrounding tissues & lymph nodes. Have you had any further scans etc., between them saying you were stage 2 & getting this letter that states you’re stage 3? Maybe this lymph node was picked up on your treatment planning scan? All the very best of luck for the start of your treatment tomorrow, at least you know things are in hand now & your beastie will be getting blasted!! 

Nicola

• Hi 

1. it is confusing. I had a doctor stand at the end of my bed having been taken in on emergency and said sorry about your Rectal cancer diagnosis…. At this stage no one had told me what I had! Plus I didn’t have Rectal cancer I had Anal cancer - very different apparently….. anyway I was Stage 3, 7cms and 2 lymph nodes involved. The time of treatment plan is the same regardless of the stage and I guess the treatment targeted accordingly. The most important thing is that it will be zapped away !! Good luck with the journey, use this site to help you through- Nikki and Bev are terrific! There are lots of tips and advice here and you can ask anything, someone will be able to help. 
  • Thank you both, definitely made my mind a little easier Slight smile

• Hi again ,

Just to wish you the very best of luck on the start of your treatment today, most people find once they’re in the routine of daily hospital visits it just flies by so hopefully this will be the case for you too, it definitely was for me. 

Nicola