Radiation Question

• 5 replies
  • 32 subscribers

Hello Everyone, 

This is a silly question but what position are you in when have your radiation? I just got back from my appointment with the radiologist and they put the “tattoos” on my front side. So I will be lying  on my back when I have the radiation. I assumed I would be lying on my stomach. Is this how it is for everyone? I’m a little confused.

• Hi, I was just lying on my back with my arms across my stomach. I actually thought my bum would be stuck over some contraption Haha. You keep your pants on they just move them down so they can see the tattoo and then cover you with a piece of tissue or your gown. It's all very civilised and they will do their very best to save your embarrassment. It doesn't take long and there's usually some random picture above your head to pass the time wondering why they bothered to put it there and why didn't they think of a 'spot the Difference' ! Let us know how you get on xxx Marie 

• Hi 

Yes the usual position for the radiotherapy is to be on your back on the bed. Once your positioned correctly on the machine it revolves around you & is over in a few minutes. 

Nicola

• Hi

As Nikki65 says, just lying on your back, the same as for your investigation and planning scans.  Good luck. x

• Thanks again, everyone. I thought I would be in a very undignified position! Grimacing I am really wanting to start treatment but I was told today it would probably be about 2 weeks before I can start. Not sure why. I also found out today that I will probably have a PICC line instead of a port for my chemo. Anyone else have a picc line? I read that some people take chemo tablets. I wasn’t offered that. Was anyone else? Sorry I keep asking so many questions, but I have learned so much from all of you. This is the first place I go when I need answers or an feeling down. Thank you all so much!

• Hi ,

Once I’d had my planning scans, tattoos etc., it was around the 2 week mark afterwards that I began treatment too. I think this gives time for the physicists to map out your radiotherapy plan ready for the machine to do it’s job, it’s a very exact science, then to coordinate your chemo treatment alongside your radiotherapy. 

Here in the UK the standard chemotherapy protocol is mitomycin infusion day 1 of treatment (before radiotherapy) then capecitabine tablets twice a day thereafter for the duration of the radiotherapy but it seems in the US chemotherapy is still widely given via infusion weeks 1 & 5. I’ve heard of one or two people in the US that have had their chemo in tablet form but not many at all. 

Nicola