Treatment

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 10 replies
  • 36 subscribers

I've now had my CT, MRI and PET scan and awaiting appointment to find out everything. It's almost certain I'll have chemoradio I know that. But I read the other day, a discussion, where someone was talking about having to insert a vaginal something or other and having to lay there with all their nether regions open to all and sundry while having radio. Can anybody tell me how true this is because I'm absolutely mortified and havnt slept unable to get this out of my head. It took me so long to go to the doctors and reveal my bottom, and that was a lady doctor. Its making me feel sick at the prospect of having to do this for weeks on end 

• Hi , no it’s not like that at all, otherwise we’d have all run off screaming!  At my first visit, they gave me 3 tiny tattoos at hip level to help line up the machine for all future sessions.

Each visit I had to pull my knickers down to the tattoos, then they covered me up for the actual treatment.  I did feel embarrassed but in my case more because I was frightened of smelling of poo.  I wore jog pants which I didn’t have to take off for any of the sessions.

And let’s face it, being undressed in front of doctors is not something most people look forward to!  Toni  x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Toni8776

Oh thankyou so much the relief is so much better. I feel a lot easier now. Thankyou so much x

• Hi ,

As  has said this doesn’t happen, certainly not here in the U.K. I recall reading something of the like in the U.S., but even there I don’t think it’s commonplace. It’s as dignified as the process can be & all the professionals I’ve come across during my experience have all been very sympathetic to the intimate nature of our diagnosis & always made me feel extremely comfortable about the whole process. 

Nicola

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Thankyou, I feel so much better now even managed a good few hours sleep last night. I've left the group now which is mainly American. It's just not for me. This is my helpful place thankyou x

• Hi Dawnbram,

I'm in the U.S. and just finished treatment last month. Truly, there was never a time when anyone saw my nether regions (during radiation), nevermind poke at them. The radiation techs covered me with towels and warm blankets (if I wanted one) every treatment. They saw virtually nothing, and they were very kind. I think you heard a horror story from someone based on extenuating circumstances. 

I was treated at Duke in N.C., and they were nothing but kind and respectful - I suspect you will be treated the same. The whole experience is daunting and surreal, but everyone is fighting to make us better. The scariest part is often the unknown, but this forum is the very best. 

Sending warmth and hugs!

Sarah    

• Hi ,

I think these instances are few & far between, I think I know exactly the post that  has read as I read exactly the same post on a Facebook group.

I’m pleased that your experience was a positive one given the circumstances of course! Like yourself I was blessed with some lovely Dr’s, nurses & radiologists throughout who all went & still do go out of their way to make this experience as dignified as possible. 

Thank you for offering your reassurance.

Nicola 

• Hi Sarah and dawn... I'm also in the US... baltimore. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to scary40

Thankyou I'm feeling a lot better now going forward 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Nikki65

Yes it was but I've now left the group. I don't think it's very helpful to me. I'd much rather just stay here everyone is lovely ...thankyou

• even if someone does see your bits they are used to it..they have seen worse...they dont care what shape you are..if you are thin or fat..they are only interested in getting you in the right posirion for your treatment. i just dont worry about it..its a means to an end x