Question at Five Weeks Recovery Point

• 22 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hello everyone,

I wondered if anyone was given the okay to use stool softeners/laxatives long-term. All the stool softeners and laxatives say "Don't use for longer than seven days." Well, that's easy to say when you are living with perpetual constipation. I've been using Senokot S--which has senna and a stool softener, but I worry about dependency.

I drink fiber supplements mixed in water, eat fiber gummies and plenty of fiber, and drink lots of water. Without Senna, I can feel I need to go, but nothing happens or it's really hard and painful, and I feel like I'm giving birth again. My bum cracks and bleeds when I'm constipated--I don't think our bums have the same flexibility from before radiation. The Senna allows me to go once a day, in the morning, but then I feel bubbly, full, and crampy all day, but can never go again until the next morning.

Honestly, I worry my unsettled stomach and constipation may irritate the mass and set off a new set of squamous cell growth. (I tend to think too much.)  

It seems my day is centered around using the bathroom--I still have to dab lidocaine on my bum before going, and then the rest of the day I feel full and uncomfortable.

Anyone else who has struggled with this, I'd love to hear any tips (or that it gets better!). My radiation ended on January 5th, so I suppose I'm still recovering.

Thanks, and I hope everyone is doing well.

Sarah   

• I did just find an old post titled "CONSTIPATION" that was quite helpful! Any quick tips would still be appreciated though!

• Hi  although for the most part I suffered from diarrhoea I have had some bouts of constipation. I was told not to use laxatives but a stool softener that draws water in from the bowel. I use Laxido when I have these bouts. Being dehydrated can also cause constipation so make sure you drink plenty of water. The vast majority of people have these issues post treatment but they do settle as time goes by, your treatment only ended very recently so don’t worry things will get better! Bev 

• Ps I would ask your treating doctor about the length of time to take stool softeners. I was told I could have one sachet a day with no time limit on stopping taking them Bev 

• Hi Sarah (),

I’m almost 2yrs 8 months post treatment & I still take one sometimes 2 softeners (sachets mixed in water) a day! I have them on repeat prescription from my GP & therefore get them for free as I was advised to get a medical exemption certificate once I’d had my cancer diagnosis. I have a good diet with plenty of fibre & green veggies in but still need help because of the stenosis. Like you my tummy can feel very bubbly/bloated & I get terribly windy on times & I wonder if the radiotherapy may have left me with some level of IBS. I’ve told both my surgeon & oncologist that I still take the softeners & they seem perfectly fine with that. 

I try & look after the new skin too, I only wash with aqueous cream so as not to dry the skin out ‘down there’ I was also advised to use sudocrem by my oncologist if things start to feel a little irritated, which they sometimes do & my skin seems to split easily if I have a difficult BM & I bleed with each BM after that for sometimes a few days although not in between. As you’ve said the stenosis that the radiotherapy causes means our muscles just don’t have the flexibility they once did, mine seems to be the sphincter muscle that’s mainly affected. 

I really wouldn’t worry about long term use of softeners but I would advise maybe seeing if your GP will prescribe for you.

Nicola 

• Nicola and Bev,

Thank you for replying. Quick question: what sachet softener do you use? Is it the equivalent of Miralax (Polyethylene Glycol) or Colace (Docusate Sodium)? Nicola, I'm in the U.S., so there is no luck getting anything free. I've actually spent a small fortune on over the counter remedies!

Thanks again! 

• Ahh yes I forgot you weren’t in the U.K., sorry!!

Mine is Laxido at the moment containing Macrogol,  sodium chloride, sodium hydrogen carbonate & potassium chloride if that’s any help? I was told to stay away from laxatives to use just softeners. I’m so thankful for the NHS I can only imagine what I would have spent by now! I mix mine with around 2/3 of a glass of water first thing in the morning, I’ve tried in the evening but it seems to suit me better if I take it earlier in the day. I don’t think it’s standard constipation rather than lack of space/stretch to be fair so keeping things on the soft side definitely helps.  

Nicola

• Hi Sarah I too started with Laxido but my review radiographer then prescribe Normacol granules. I’ve been taking them for ages and have in the last week been told to go to alternate days. Just take once in the morning with or after breakfast. Produced by Norgine. It’s certainly helped me stabilise - not normal but much improved. 
    I’ve  also used Mucosamin which was recommended by my niece who is a consultant gastroenterologist for both my bum and vagina. It is a healing gel to aid damage done by radiotherapy and chemotherapy.  I couldn’t get on NHS so bought on Amazon. Worth a look. I do think it had been helpful to me. 
    Ruth 

• Hi  I use Laxido  has set out the ingredients above. When I have my constipation bouts I take 1 sachet in water about 7pm then it works it way through my system and I’m ready to go in the morning. I was told not to take laxatives as they would be too harsh on my vowels after the radiation. Bev. 

• Ps Bowels not vowels!! 

• Hi Nicola,

Your GI descriptions sound very similar to mine. I think my actual sphincter no longer has the same stretch and resiliency as before, and if I'm slightly constipated, my skin cracks and tears below. It doesn't help that yesterday I bought some warm french bread from a bakery and overindulged with big slabs of butter. I definitely need to watch what I eat.

I know I've said this before, but I really think there are better medicines and guidance in the UK compared to the US. My docs are fabulous, but they only offer Miralax and Dulcolax as options. Whenever you mention an excellent stool softener, I search for it in the US, but it's not available. 

Hopefully, I get into a routine at some point where going to the bathroom doesn't seem to be the highlight/focus of the day. I guess we embrace the new normal and make the best of it.

Thanks, as always, for all your support in this forum.