Newly Diagnosed

• 11 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi

My name is Emma-Jane and I was diagnosed with AML last Thursday. To say my world has turned upside down is an understatement...no symptoms just routine blood tests and from then it has been a total nightmare.I am 56 and still cannot process the information..Im having blood tests today and still waiting for the final results to determine my treatment plan but from what I heard I will be admitted to UCLH end of this week for a month..I know I'm wittering on bit writing is my coping mechanism..and I'm so grateful to have found this support group.Healing hugs to you all. I suppose I'm looking for any advice from people who have gone through it...positive and negative practical things like what do I take in..thank you

• Hello Emma Jane

Oh I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm about a year ahead of you so I understand the ups and downs of diagnosis and treatment. 

I imagine you've been through your first cycle of chemo now? 

It's a devastating and bewildering diagnosis, made so much harder by having to be an inpatient for most of it. So isolating. 

My only advice is keep breathing, take life hour by hour, and stay away from Google! I'm one day post transplant and currently an inpatient. I've found the psychologist helpful, and I make sure I've got something on my px for anxiety (zopiclone, lorazepam etc). 

I have teenagers expecting me to survive and resume normal service so I just aim for that! I don't beat myself up about having a rest with my book or iPad. As much as I hate this happening to my family, it's really made me appreciate the mundane aspects of life. Turns out there is a whole lot of domesticity on my bucket list! 

I wish you well and do keep in touch if you feel able x