New here - Hello

• 12 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hello,

I was diagnosed with AML in Feb this year, after a blood test @ 9:30 am at my local Drs I received a phone call at 17:30 from a consultant from local hospital saying I abnormal bloods and asking me to come into hospital that evening and was on chemo the next day! After 4 cycles of intensive chemo and 6 months in and out of hospitial, I have received the information that I am in remission. The treatment was hard! The personal ( from the people providing the teas & coffees to the nurses, Drs, consultants) in the cancer ward were great! 
So now it’s 6 weekly blood tests and 3 monthly biopsies! I hope I can contribute to this forum and help anyone with questions from my experience. Gman

• Hi Naugus,

There seems to be a lot of confusion around AML! This I my understanding from what I have been told during my treatment, along with talking to others with different types (inversions) of AML. 

Firstly I can assure you that you can go into remission with AML as I have! I don't believe that there is a cure but can be in remission for many years! As for SCT I have not got to that stage but from talking to others who have gone through this that it seems to last longer now if this is a cure I don't know. I do know of some that have gone straight to SCT because Chemo only would potentially not work on its own and it is the best know treatment for that type of AML.

Once you have been diagnosed and tests  have been completed to what type of AML, there seems to be lots of different types of AML and each one can have a different treatment, of course the treatment will be discussed with you and which one is best for you. So I had Intensive Chemo but the guy in the next bed had the same Type but because he had a heart issue his treatment was different and went on a different type of Chemo (not as strong) and his treatment lasts a lot longer. Mine was 6 months and his was around 8 months. But that all depends on your health and type of AML.

The hospital I am under is Lincoln, They have been great and explained every thing to me which is what I would expect from where ever you will be having your treatment. 

Hope this has helped and happy to answer any further questions if I can but please remember I can only give you from my understanding, the Drs are the best people to answer medical questions. 

I wish you all the best for whatever treatment you end up on.

Garry (GMan)

• Thank you Gman, you have given me hope. I had no idea there were different types of AML. While I have read that MF can effect people differently , I thought that AML was a death sentence. 
    My very best wishes for your continued good health.

Naugus.