AML

• 13 replies
  • 23 subscribers

hello everyone I have just been diagnosed with AML following some routine blood tests. I have no symptoms at all so devastating diagnosis and a huge shock. I am 64 fit and active and thought I was in good health. I am about to have intensive Chemotherapy and then maybe stem cell transplant. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has gone through Chemotherapy into remission and any suggestions or advice to share experiences. Very scary prognosis without treatment and also worried about the demands on the body with Chemotherapy… 

• Hi Mark

thanks for your message and fantastic to hear how well you are feeling now. Did the hospital do a bone marrow biopsy to establish the blast cells for the AML diagnosis or was it evident from your blood count and infections etc. Also so good to hear about the bone marrow transplant being so successful. Was the donor known to you? 
    Stories like yours are inspiring to hear and thank you for sharing 

thanks

John

• Hi John

i think my blasts were about 70 % if I remember correctly, I was very poorly they said afterwards without treatment I’d got about two weeks to live. My donor was a 31 year old American, we have not made contact yet, I have tried but he obviously doesn’t want to which I fully understand.

• Hi Johnny ,Sorry to hear your news , keep strong and  take all the anti sickness meds while you are having the chemo. 
    My BMT was three years ago and so far so good . 
    may donor was unknown to me but we are now in contact. He is a German living in Berlin . 
    Dawn .