Child just diagnosed

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi. My 7 year old has just been diagnosed with ALL. Any support groups or support anybody can recommend? 

• HI  and welcome to this corner of the Community although I am so sorry to hear about your little ones diagnosis. I am Mike and I help out around our various Blood Cancer groups.

I don’t have Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia (ALL) but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of NHL reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Blood Cancer ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the journey rather well...... but not when supporting a little one.

Let’s look for group members to pick up on your post and get back to you. You can also click on the main ‘AML Group’ title and this will bring up all the group posts. Have a look at the posts and as always you can hit reply to any post and connect in with the wider group conversations.

You may also want to join the Communities General Parents of children with cancer support group where you will connect with other parents navigating these challanging times.

It’s a challenging time for you so you may want to use the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too. This service provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear.

We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

For good information do check out Leukaemia Care UK who produce very good information and run various support platforms including their Buddy Scheme and my be able to highlight other services.... Support Line 08088 010 444

You may also want to check to see if you have a Maggie's Centre in your area as these folks are amazing and do have support groups for family members whose children are going through treatment and indeed for children.

Always around to help more or just to chat ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi. Sorry to hear about your child. I am in the same awful boat, my 3 year old was just diagnosed. I haven’t found any support groups or anything like that but I can talk with you if you like.

• My 6 year old grandson has just been diagnosed, just had his third chemo injection he’s been so brave but it’s starting affect him now ,

• Hi, my niece has recently been diagnosed with ALL. My brother doesn’t want to talk and is not texting me much and Sister on law nothing at all. I am not sure what to do. I don’t want to burden them but I care about them all and I really would like to know more and how I can help, but they keep pushing me away Cry she had her first chemio two days ago Weary

I keep texting about sending Love from me and my family and people that know them… but since they don’t reply or react to them I am starting to think I am annoying them Pensive so whatever I do seems to be wrong. The best thing seems to be to do nothing, say nothing. But I can’t just give up on them! Please help be there for them the way they need me to be.