Don't know yet

• 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi all 

On Friday I got a call from my GP with results from recent blood tests (following up from some in December as well) to tell me she is really sorry but my WBC's are at a level where I am looking like having a blood cancer or type of leukaemia possibly bone marrow.  She asked me if I had any swollen glands, tummy discomfort or anything else, which I don't.  I am going into see her on Wednesday and am armed with questions but the hours from Friday morning have seemed like a year and my head is spinning  but I am guessing I will need to wait until the haematology appointment comes through to know exactly what I am dealing with.  

I just wondered if it was unusual for a GP to be able to tell someone this.  My Doc is wonderful and I am in no way complaining, if anything, the fact that she said all of this to me over the phone (with lots of apologies) actually makes me feel worse as she's simply not the sort of doc to throw something like this in without knowing for sure. She's more of a 'lets not worry until we know' sort of doc, but I never got that from her.  

I am fit and well (old and fat too ha ha) but no other symptoms of anything I can see.  Sore legs when waking of late but nothing else (bruising or so on) 

What should I expect next and how quickly should that all happen

Thanks in advance 

• Hi

Sorry to hear about what you are going through at the moment. Hopefully you will get some more answers tomorrow when you see your GP. If (and it may not be)  it is a form of blood cancer there are many different types, which all have different treatments, ranging from wait and see to chemo and stem cell transplants. Until you know if it is blood cancer or if it is what sort then try not to worry too much. Easier said than done I know!. There are different forums on the Macmillan website for different types of Leukaemia. This one is for ALL (acute lymphoblastic leukaemia) which I was diagnosed with in 2012 and I went on to be successfully treated. Once you get more information post again and if it is a blood cancer then I can direct you to the correct forum.

Good luck for tomorrow and hopefully you will get some more answers to all of the questions you no doubt have. If you want to ask me any questions please feel free to do so.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Thank you so much for your lovely reply Paul.  yes it feels like I am in limbo to be honest.  I am just hoping that the situation with Covid wont hold back my Haematology appointment as I'm the type of person who needs to know what I am dealing with ASAP.  You've made me feel a little better so thank you xx

• Hi As far as I know if you need to enter the 2 week cancer pathway it should run reasonably smoothly. My admission was different as I went to A&E with chest pains, dizziness, unexplained bruises and shortness of breath which was caused by anaemia as my red blood counts had dropped so low. I was straight onto transfusions, diagnosed within a few hours and put in an ambulanced to Barts in London for treatment. 

I was doubly lucky that I went to A&E when I did but also I didn't have to play the waiting game for appointments etc. Hopefully  the fact your GP didn't ask you to go in to see her immediately and that you don't have symptoms (other than sore legs) is something to be positive about. Good luck tomorrow!

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Hi...I'm in same boat..no initial symptoms except an orange sized lump in my leg..I was told it was Lymphoma stage 2..but in the dark til I see the hematologist next week..