This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Recommended Travel Insurance

• 250 replies
  • 128 subscribers

Hi everyone

As it can be time consuming looking through existing posts for travel insurance recommendations I thought it'd be a good idea to try and keep all recommendations in one place.

With that in mind I thought I'd ask that when you've found an insurance company that provided you with cover at a reasonable cost you posted that recommendation here.

If you could put a little bit of additional information eg. whether you got single trip or annual, cover for a cruise, worldwide, etc along with anything else that you think others would find helpful when they are researching that would be great.

All the recommendations come from community members and are not recommendations from Macmillan. Please make sure you do your own research as to whether they are suitable for you.

x

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

All these planned holidays sound very exciting! Unfortunately, as you have found, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when there is a cancer diagnosis involved. The NHS website doesn't recommend that you rely on your EHIC card if you stay in Europe as it doesn't cover you for cancellation of your holiday, lost or stolen luggage or the cost of being flown home if your wife was to be taken ill and needed to be brought home. It's also warning that your EHIC card may only be valid until 29 March 2019 if we leave the EU without a deal in place. 

I don't know if you've had a look through this thread yet as it's where we try to keep recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance and there may be a company listed here that you haven't tried yet. When you do obtain insurance it would be really useful if you could add your recommendation to this thread too.

Most people suggest that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as it's easier to explain to someone than try to complete an online form. 

I do hope that you can obtain the travel insurance you need and enjoy some more wonderful holidays!

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I was diagnosed and treated for breast cancer last year. Fortunately it was found at an early stage with no spread and other than hormone treatment I have now completed treatment. Today I attempted to renew our travel insurance with LV insurance, not only would they not insure me for breast cancer but they also refused to insure me for my high blood pressure, something they had been doing for years. They reason is incomprehensible despite two phone calls - probably best summarised as computer says no! I also looked at Boots insurance and got on online quote covering both my medical conditions and also my husbands' for cheaper than LV. Seems like there may be some positives from having a cancer diagnosis. On principle we will probably move all our other insurance policies from LV following their unhelpful response.     

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Had another scan yesterday - shrinking further! Neither of us expected that. Woohoo - game on!

Re travel insurance companies, everyone wants us to jump through hoops AND pay through the nose (or won't insure) e.g. £7-800 for 4 days in Palma (InsureCancer). So we're just going to stay within Europe and trust the EHIC arrangement, maybe with cancer-exemption on "normal" travel insurance. I think medical evacuation is unlikely to be needed, and at £20k or so it would be deeply unwelcome (!) but not totally life-changingly dramatic. Hopefully Brexit doesn't muck up the EHIC arrangement!

• Rob if your staying with main land Europe then euro tunnel insurance may cover you both so long as the medical record if not marked terminal, certainly worth a call. that so long as no more changes have been made this year.

and good to hear the scan brought good news

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to johnr

Thanks John. They said it is "Palliative Treatment" rather than using the word Terminal, but they also acknowledge insurance companies might see that as the same thing (and as I understand it, palliative treatment/care is what you do when someone is terminal i.e. not expected to be cured).

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi. 

Looking at going on holiday this summer(Greece). Unfortunately, my mother is terminally ill after a recurrence of pancreatic cancer, that has now spread. Its currently stable and not particularly aggressive were told. She is not travelling with us, but just wondering if any companies will cover us in case our plans change once booked.

Thanks 

• Hi and welcome to the online community

I'm very sorry to hear that your mum's cancer. I think you'll find it very difficult to find an insurer who will insure you for curtailment or cancellation if your mum's condition becomes worse.

I've had a look through previous posts here for the type of cover you want and found this thread, this one and this one which were also asking about cover for non travelling relatives. I don't know if any of the posters eventually got travel insurance, as they didn't respond, but you could reply to them and ask.

You could also look through this thread, as it has recommendations from other forum members who have obtained travel insurance, and there may be a company listed here that will cover you. If you do obtain insurance it would be really useful if you could add your recommendation to this thread and, if you don't, it would be really helpful to know for others who come along asking the same question.

Most people suggest that you phone the travel companies rather than try and do online quotes as it's easier to explain to someone than try to complete an online quote. 

I wish you all the best and hope that you can obtain the travel insurance you need.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

I was wondering if you had managed to get travel insurance to cover you in case you needed to change your plans because of your mum's illness?

It would be really useful to know as this question comes up fairly often.

x

Community Champion Badge

• [deleted]

Community Champion Badge

• I can highly recommend Insurancewith as they have now insured daughter (who travels often and widely for work as well as holidays) for several years, she has an annual policy because of her frequent journeys. They also settled a claim very fast and with no quibble when she was too unwell with sinusitis for flying off just over a year ago. 

If travel is just in Europe (may all change of course, courtesy of Brexit) then it’s worth phoning Eurotunnel, who used to insure worldwide till a few years ago. Their two requirements then were ‘with medical approval’ and ‘not terminal’ 

Hugs xxx

Moomy