My wife's funeral

• 10 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hello all 

It's been a while since I was last on here but since then my beautiful wife has died of a brain aneurism. 

I am on the Nordic protocol and have finished 6 rounds of Chemotherapy. 

I should have been having stem cell harvesting tomorrow, Monday 18th November but my bloods are not up to it.

I had a temperature on Thursday and I am in hospital now getting over it. 

My wife's funeral is this Friday 22nd.

I am worried about infection before the funeral at the funeral at the wake afterwards and the days after as I have many friends and family coming from all over the UK and world 

Please could you guys give me some tips on how to avoid picking up bugs on the days before, after and on the day. 

Thanks 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Dear Dave

I’m really sorry to hear about your wife and having to deal with her loss on top of everything else you are going through must be really difficult for you. 

In terms of avoiding infections I carry alcohol gels and use them any time I touch surfaces such as door handles etc. I also abound physical contact with anyone who has a cold or other infections. I have used a Cold and flu block topical gel by a company called NasalGuard. I don’t know how effective it is but with this and the other actions I outlined above I’ve managed to avoid infections for nearly a year now. I have MDS refractory neutropenia so my white blood cells are suppressed and hence I am prone to infections. As part of my treatment I get twice weekly GCSF injections to boost my white blood cell count and this is currently working well. 

These are a few suggestions that seem to work for me. I hope you manage to avoid contracting anything over the next few weeks and get through everything.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I just spotted a spelling mistake in my post. That should have been “avoid physical contact” not “abound physical contact”. Autocorrect is far from infallible!

• Dave, so sorry to hear your news, I com only send you a virtual man ((hug)).

First, I am sure that your team understand what is going on so let’s look for them to get you in a good place before Friday.

Catching an infection is going to be a lottery, you can only do the normal things that have already been mentioned.

I had to go to the funeral for a family member just after my first SCT. As all our family and friends understood what I had been through and the infection risks, they were very careful to keep an arms length clear space and no hugs, but I also had a face mask on with some Albas inside, but also a scarf to cover it so it did not stick out. It was in the summer so it looked rather odd but as it is winter you can well get away with this.

I do pray that all will go well on Friday and you will stay infection free.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Prof x

Hiya 
    My name is Dave, I have mantle cell lymphoma. 
    I have started treatment which is Nordic protocol so maxi r chop and cytarabine chemotherapy, 6 lots which is alternated, first was r chop on 12th July and cytarabine 5th August. 
    Also having BEAM chemotherapy and stem cell harvesting /transplant. 
    My chemotherapy is due to finish middle of November so I get the feeling that I will be in hospital over Christmas for stem cell treatment. 

Ho hum

Cheers 
    Dave 
  • Cheers Mike, will Do similar I think. 

Hiya 
    My name is Dave, I have mantle cell lymphoma. 
    I have started treatment which is Nordic protocol so maxi r chop and cytarabine chemotherapy, 6 lots which is alternated, first was r chop on 12th July and cytarabine 5th August. 
    Also having BEAM chemotherapy and stem cell harvesting /transplant. 
    My chemotherapy is due to finish middle of November so I get the feeling that I will be in hospital over Christmas for stem cell treatment. 

Ho hum

Cheers 
    Dave 
  • Hello Dave, 

just to say how sorry I am to hear the news, but to reiterate what has already been said, lessen physical contact at the funeral but of course ensure all who attend understand why. Washing hands plus the gel will hopefully help hand contact with infection too.

hope all goes as you wish

hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Oh my, what a terrible hand your family has been dealt. I'm so sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself and peace to you.

• Thinking about you today Dave - man ((hugs)) coming your way.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thinking of you Dave, and hoping all goes as smoothly as possible

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Dave,

So sorry I am coming to your post late, and I’m so sorry for your dreadful news. I’m sending you loads of warm thoughts at what must be an horrendous time.

Greg