HRT

• 4 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hello, just wondering if anyone has experience of HRT post transplant? I was on the pill for early menopause before transplant but the doctors didn't want me on it during transplant. I'm over a year post now but my appointment with the obstetrician isn't til September and as I've been suffering with migraines my transplant consultant prescribed a combined continuous hormone patch for me.  

Although the migraines have reduced in intensity and frequency overall I've felt worse in the fortnight I've been on the HRT. I'm more fatigued, more anxious, more grouchy, hot, palpitations, nauseous and  often feel on the verge of a migraine even if it doesn't materialise.

Could it be my body reacting to the influx of hormones after such a long time without? Anyone else?

Thanks, Charlotte x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Charlotte, sorry to hear about your discomfort! I haven't started my HRT treatment because I'm still waiting on finding out if it will be managed by gynae or the endocrinologist who was previously treating me for PCOS, but everything you've described is unfortunately what was listed to me as commonnaide effects of hormone treatment. I do believe there are different variations of patches and pills they can try so speak to your doctor about how you're feeling and see what they suggest? It might also be worth while looking in to holistic remedies for migraines if you're prone to them, or getting a good supply of sumitriptan to take as soon as the onset occurs to stop it in its tracks? Good luck xx

• Hi Charlotte and Kirsty...... as says, "SCT - the gift that keeps on giving"

Us male wimps don't have this extra part of the post SCT Journey.

((hugs)) all round.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi ladies,

daughter took several different HRT meds before finding the one that works for her, and yes, dreadful headaches were one result of one type. But now she’s on one that suits, which hopefully will prevent problems of bone density shrinkage and heart problems. 

if you go onto HRT at a young age, do ensure, too, that you have regular mammograms/MRI scans as it does slightly increase the risk of breast cancer later in life (I was on for 10 years and got an oestrogen fed bc) 

regular weight bearing exercise is also good bone density protection, so please do make an effort to walk/run/do weights or whatever. And keep up enough calcium intake, and remember that 15 minutes sun exposure (outside the danger period of 11-3 during summer months) to arms or legs will help your body manufacture it’s very own type of vitamin D that it needs for bone health. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Oh, and of course you do qualify for an exemption card so you won’t need to pay for prescriptions! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy