Leg pains?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Had anyone any experience with leg pains post transplant? For the past four nights in a row I've been woken in the middle of the night with excruciating pain in my knee, and through the day I'm often bothered by sharp pains in my shins, but this mostly happens at night. My legs are still badly bruised from some erythema nodosum I was diagnosed with last year, but other than those faint bruised there's nothing to see. No rash, swelling, discolouration or anything. The joint isn't hot to the touch, it's just agony! Just wondering if this is something SCT related or if it's a strain from using my legs slightly more, just have no idea why the knee pain only strikes in the middle of the night. It feels like someone's been at it with an ice pick!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Excuse the typos, my phone's autocorrrect is useless

• Hi Kirsty,

So sorry you’re experiencing this.....do you find either heat or cold helps? Sometimes a type of cramp appears post SCT and it’s often not related to levels of vitamin and mineral, but maybe a type of neuropathy due to the chemo regimes you’ve had? 

If it’s any comfort, as long as you know by trial and error what eases it, hopefully you’ll find it gradually improving. Think about some effective pain relief when you go to bed if it happens in the night.....

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Kirsty, I go with moomy on this.

It took me a rather long time to get over most of the muscle pains, but I do still have them three and half years post. Leg cramps during the night still comes at the most silly-o'clock times. But i do find it all gets worse when i am not active, if I don't get out in the garden or for walks these issues show their face.

I was told to keep pushing through, take some (not lots) Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (I do have stronger pain killers where required), keep aiming for 3 Lt water a day (I do find this hard) and keep active. I normally go to an exercise class at our Maggie's Centre but have not been for the past month due to other stuff and I do find the pains start coming back.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

So far I'm finding some ibuprofen gel and/or paracetamol helps (after a quick temperature check of course!) helps but I would really rather get a full nights sleep! I'll mention it to my nurse at my blood check tomorrow morning to see if there's a mineral deficiency- I've been having very low magnesium and needing topped up IV. You'll all know what it's like when you feel pain you do worry something sinister is behind it