Aarrgghh Sick Child!

• 8 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Help!

I'm getting myself a bit worked up having never 'liked' sick anyway.... But how worried should I be that I have a vomitting child?

I am always very careful about cleaning/keeping my hands away from my mouth etc ..  She is in bed with a bucket at the moment where she will stay as much as possible... One ended up on the kitchen floor (almost right next to me :-( ) but the other time in the toilet. Everywhere has been bleached and kitchen sides/cupboards too ... My partner cleaned the sick then I mopped and bleached everywhere.

I know for instance I have to call in if one of the children gets chicken pox, flu, measles etc but should I be calling if they have a possible tummy bug...? I dont really want to call out of hours and look stupid if I shouldnt. I would hate  it if they told me I should stay somewhere else.

Sorry to blabber, always on edge when one of the children are ill - at least we've made it this far with just one cold between them! 

• Only my opinion, but I would not call it in. She is being sick so she has a bug and it should pass in 24 hrs, granddaughters and my wife was the same at different times but I kept clear of most of it....... there is not much you can do about it. Keep taking the precautions and if you catch it drink lots of water to keep hydrated and call it in ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I would wait just a day and see how things settle, if you even begin to feel unwell then call in, but otherwise I think you’re doing all you can. 

Your team would (I’m sure) say, if in doubt and feeling unwell at all in these early stages then call in, they’d rather reassure than have to treat somebody unwell! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Thank you both. I always feel silly telling people, but I was diagnosed with Emetophobia not long before Cancer, and was having CBT to help. In some ways, having chemotherapy has helped, but in other ways it has made it worse (for instance, I am now worried being sick will mean being admitted to hospital but at the same time I am thinking that I would rather get sick and get it over and done with - something I would never have thought before lol)

Daughter is doing so well, she hasn't been sick since the times I mentioned and slept all night. Is now nibbling toast in bed and has had a shower. Says she feels a bit better but that her tummy is a bit off (could just be hungry!) so she will stay there most of today - if it is a bug, the last thing we want is the baby getting it as the rest of us stand no chance then haha

Hopefully it's just one of those things and the rest of us avoid - she quite often gets tummy ache but is never sick with it. 

I will def call it in if I start to feel off and run if everyone else around me starts Joy

Thanks Moomy and Mike 

Xx

HopefulMummy123 x

• Okay so the eldest has started but I haven't run just yet.... 4 days between them seems slightly longer than expected but hey ho! I'm blaming the fruit she shared with him sneakily, rather than my lack of cleaning - my hands agree with me! Still, I'd rather be in the middle of all of this excitement than the other option...!

Just wanted to comment for reference, for if other people were to come across this in a similar position in the future - the unit have advised that if I were to start to come down with it, then I need to ring straight away and I will have to go in (not sure how the 2 hour journey there would go though ... Eeek!) Also not to take anything, I had hoped an anti emetic would be okay (I know no Immodium!) but I guess not... :-(

Xx

HopefulMummy123 x

• Oh noooo, bless you!

really hope you stay clear.....

hugs xxx

Moomy

• ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

My non-biologist opinion would be that vomit isn't usually bacterial (?) and propbably cannot transfer anything dangerous to you. But your dr would know for sure.

• Hey :-)

Yes, as tummy bugs are generally virus' not bacteria, I wasn't particularly bothered it would be dangerous as such - more of a set back and more weight loss too! I would have to be re admitted they said, and no one likes the thought of that!! 

Thank for responding :-) 

Xx

HopefulMummy123 x