Insurance

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 18 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi,

does anyone have any recommendations for travel insurance. The automatic ones we have with the bank won't cover Lymphoma.

Cheers

John

• Hi RV8,

I wondered if you had come across the below thread as yet? It is where a lot of members have collected advice about travel insurance. I hope you find it helpful.

All the best

Greg

community.macmillan.org.uk/.../recommended-travel-insurance

• Hi John, depending on the bank some have paid an extra premium and the bank cover has been maintained, this does though depend on which bank as not all offer the option, but worth contacting them to ask.

Also if you let us know where you are planning to go to we may be able to give you a steer i.e. if its main land Europe then Euro Tunnel are worth trying as you don't have to go through a screening process which is a real pain.

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • Hi,

Johns reply is really good, Eurotunnel usually do an excellent policy for Europe, but daughter (who travels more widely for work as well as pleasure) found Insurancewith offered her a good, well priced annual policy and they didn’t quibble when she had to cancel one trip, paid out easily.

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi everyone,

although we are the parents of someone who has had a stem cell transplant, I saw a link for insurancewith on this forum- my hubby and I are going to Canada but as he has artificial hips, and had 2 previous deep vein thrombosis even for insurance for pre existing medical conditions we were quoted nearly as much as what the flights cost us from other companies- I phoned insurancewith as I didn’t know if they covered other conditions other than cancers, and they did and for 19 days in Canada with his medical history it is £115 which is excellent- when I spoke to the lady about it she said it’s because other companies have standard questions- which they did and were all the same- but they look at how they affect you now and how they are controlled and it’s based on the individual! So I’m a nurse and I look at it as being very person centred! 

Hope this helps other people.

And Katy had her bone marrow biopsy results and she is totally leukaemia free- never cured though they said but in complete remission. She’s doing really well and has had a few bugs but managed to throw them off as her CD4 is excellent apparently! Probably better than ours now as we’ve picked up the bugs as well but it’s floored hubby 

KT’s mum 

• Hi

I have also used insurewith since my stem cell transplant and have always found them to be reasonable even in the early years post transplant. I originally spoke with one of their medical underwriters and have used them ever since and now only pay about £20 more a year than a standard policy.

after 5 years they told me that I was cured of ALL ( although as they said you can never say never with life and medicine) and there was no reason that it would return.... so just give it time!

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul1969

Thanks everyone for your replies. All interesting and useful. Interestingly, insurewith didn't want to know about my lymphoma online. They phoned me today, still wouldn't allow for the lymphoma but charged £700+ for my cardiac condition. An interesting point that comes up is that if your spouse has their travel insurance, your condition, if not declared, will invalidate their insurance. In other words, if you have to cancel a holiday because you are sick, their policy will not cover them for cancelation fees. Found that out last year, very expensive!

Today, however, Staysure have covered my wife and I, accepting the lymphoma and cardiac condition for £500 for multi trips to Europe. So I'm happy with that.

Cheers all

John

• Hello group members,

Interesting to see the experiences of others seeking travel insurance.

I would be keen to hear from anyone who has successfully obtained travel insurance for more 'exotic' travel. Sounds as though I may be being unrealistic:

I was diagnosed with stage 3 Mantle cell lymphoma  9 months ago at the age of 64.

Underwent the Nordic Protocol followed by high dose chemo with autologous stem cell support, completed in Nov 2019. Currently receiving bi-monthly injections of rituximab.Now regaining stamina and energy, feeling well and splenomegaly hugely reduced.

I have wished for some time to travel to Costa Rica on a wildlife holiday. Now wondering:

1. How travel insurance companies are likely to respond to my request for travel insurance.

2. If anyone has any safety advice for NHL patients travelling to this part of the world.   

Thanks in advance. Chris (topher)

ChrisMCL
  • Hi ,

daughter went through a few companies; as a freelance musician she travels widely and at one stage it was world-wide tours. 

She now has an annual policy with www.insurancewith.com and they happily paid out when she was too unwell to have a holiday a year or so ago, no quibble at all. 

If you check out my profile you’ll see she still has ongoing problems though is cancer free. 

one bit of advice; talk it over with your team! They may well have strong views as to when and where you would be safe to go. 

whatever company you choose it’s useful to chat on the phone; I think some are getting used to some maintenance drugs used these days and won’t argue. 

as to your venue; I have no idea but I would think as long as you’re with a tour company it ‘should’ be ok. 

Best wishes and hugs xxx

Moomy

• Many thanks for your advice moomy.

I will pick this up with my team this week!

Hugs, xxx

ChrisMCL
  • Hi ChrisMCL

I managed to get my wife insured fully with insurancewith, they cover most existing conditions, lots of questions asked re the condition as you would expect. First time for cover 10 days following her 5 months in hospital with AML and all the chem ect involved and that was £45.

Just done a years cover for Europe only for £104. 

Cruises are substantially more expensive and may not even be covered.

Tropical/long haul I would also to be much more, but bearing in mind the mainstream companies out there charging thousands of pounds, it may be woth giving them a call.

Very nice telephone staff and much easier than online as you can go into full details when asked.

Good Luck

Nick