GEM-P experiences?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 2 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi all,

My hodgkins recently relapsed in a single internal mammary lymph node after completing 6 cycles of ABVD. I found out today that I would be having more chemo plus radio, but stopping short of a stem cell transplant.

So I guess that begs the question of what am I doing here?! Basically, I will be having 2 cycles of GEM-P as an "insurance policy" as although they feel that the radio alone would get the remaining hodgkins in that one lymph node, they want to hit me with strong chemo to ensure that there aren't any remaining cells hiding out. They are saving the stem cell transplant option for a rainy day for now.

Obviously this is an unusual situation, but I wondered if anyone here had received GEM-P as part of their salvage and what it was like? How bad will it be? I've never had a platinum based chemo but have heard about the side effects. I managed to get away with keeping most of my hair after ABVD, so I'm guessing that I can wave goodbye to those last strands? Also, I'm told it will impact my fertility. My husband and I have 5 embryos frozen from before my last chemo, but will GEM-P send me into menopause? I'm 33 years old.

Thanks in advance for any advice on what to expect.

Helen x 

• Hi again Helen , always good to have a back up plan in the back pocket and well done freezing some Embryos.

There has been a folks on GEM-P over the past years so let’s look for them to pick up on your post. You could also put GEM-P into the search box - top right and have a look at the past posts.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look. Hopefully it won't be too tough...not like any of us have a choice though!! 

Helen x