Blastic Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cell Neoplasm

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 23 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi,

my husband was diagnosed with the above blood cancer in January of this year. It is an extremely rare disease. Following 3 rounds of chemo he undertook a donor stem cell transplant (umbilical cord) in May. He is disease free and 100% donor which is amazingly fabulous. He has suffered with some GVHD and various infections/viruses.

I wondered whether anyone had any experience of this disease? The information on the internet is sparse and out of date. Apparently it has some characteristics of AML, not even sure what that means.

Thank you for reading,

Kerry

• Transplant buddies indeed, I was diagnosed in May, so very similar, buddies everywhere lol, I have been keeping ok I suppose, tiredness, exhausting, and infections have been my problems, I took a HLH infection after my transplant, it killed the donor marrow completely, but for some unexplained medical reason, a bit of my own bone marrow survived the chemo, and it took over again, but my bone marrow was damaged and not working properly, ive been on boosters to keep my numbers up since, but the numbers are starting to creep up now since January, and ime slowly coming off them now, HLH is linked to iron levels, I think, the iron marker is around 400, mine was at 19,000 when they discovered it, it took them 5 weeks to find it because its not normally linked after the transplant, I have been a very complicated, unusual case, according to my consultant lol, if there was anything going to get, I got it, his words, not mine lol ime hoping now this will be the proper start to my recovery, have you been keeping well in your recovery ?? No ive had no vaccines yet as my numbers have been too low and i havent been strong enough to get them, ive a bone marrow biopsy to look forward to now in a few weeks time, that will tell how my bone marrow is working, my platletts have been between 0 and 5, I was getting transfusions twice a week, sometimes daily when in the hospital,  but thyre starting to climb now, 16 last week, so here's hoping. I me glad to hear your recovery generally gone well, and good to talk to you.

• Oh gosh what a journey!! They'll be writing articles about you! I hope they continue to climb and you've turned the corner Fingers crossedFingers crossed how crazy that your own bone marrow actually survived and took over!

I hope you dont struggle too much with the bone marrow biopsy. I hate them, find them very traumatic 

• It def has been a journey, that's the short version of it lol I would be here typing all night if i told you everything lolJoy your not the first one to say about writing articles about me Joy it was absolutely crazy about my bone marrow, a medical mystery, I can actually manage the biopsy's ok thank god, but thyre not nice at all, iv'e only had one bad experience with them, I think this is number 4 or 5 if i remember rightly, ime hoping ime hoping iv'e turned the corner as well Pray iv'e my weekly clinic appointment tomorrow,  so all's crossed for tomorrow again, but then again, every visit is almost like that.