Insurance for overseas travel post SCT

• 4 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi everyone, I'm nearly one year post transplant now and beginning to think about  visiting family in Australia . I know there are suggestions on Myeloma UK site for insurance but I am wondering anyone has experience of getting insurance? Many thanks Sue 

• Hi  

I'm not a member of this group, but your subject title caught my eye.

Unfortunately, it can be more difficult to find travel insurance when you've had a cancer diagnosis so can I recommend that you join us over in the travel insurance group where you'll find recommendations from others who have been successful. Once you've joined look for the thread called 'recommended travel insurance' as this is where the majority of recommendations are.

Most people say that it's best to phone the insurance companies rather than try and do online quotes as often at the end of the online quote it will tell you to phone the company and you'll then have to go through all the information again. Also, sometimes the broker can refer to the underwriters to see if they would provide cover when an online quote might just give you a straight refusal. 

I hope you're successful and have a great time in Australia Slight smile

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi again …… getting Travel Insurance post SCT can be very challenging…… as you know I have a different type of incurable blood cancer (Non Hodgkins Lymphoma) and it took me a good few years before I was offered insurance that was not more expensive than the proposed holiday.

Being post SCT insurance providers do see you as high risk as you have a weakened immune system.

Follow the link the my friend  has given you and call a few of the ones that are recommended in the threads. Answer the questions you are asked honestly abd see what you are offered.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• HI Cakie

Insurance can certainly be a problem with a cancer diagnosis. Being 12 months post SCT is still relatively early in you recovery journey.

Last year we managed to get cover for my wife after 2 years post transplant for AML.

We tried all the advertised companies on TV and TBH, they are a waste of time and very very expensive. On the phone for over 1 hour to be told they won't cover her.

We did find a company that we had used when she was first diagnosed and after getting in remission after ger first Chemo sessions.

The company is called "Insurancewith"

They have covered my wife for European cover for 1 year  for under £200. Plus a £400 excess. This is over £1000 cheaper than anyone else willing to cover her condition.

They use a different company to access your condition than all the other major insurance companies who all seem to use the same alternative screening company.

Just make sure you give ALL THE DETAILS OF YOUR CONDITION during the screeinng process to be absolutely certain you have covered everything.

This can all be done online.

You nay well need to check your vaccination program if you are on this process. My wife had to wait 2 years before her consultant said she was fit to travel.

Best of luck

FULHAMBOY (Nick)

• Hi Sue,

Im 18 months post SCT. I’ve been away twice now and got my insurance from Staysure. I had to telephone them and answer a few questions but I thought they were fairly reasonably priced. Hope you have a fab holiday.

Joy xx