Stem cell transplant: is it worth it?

• 5 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Wondering if anyone would like to share their experiences with decision making and/or undergoing stem cell transplant as NHL treatment. Am a woman, 63 yrs and have lived with and had several treatments for NHL for 12 yrs. Recently relapsed and offered stem cell transplant as treatment to consolidate the results of the chemotherapy I’m currently having. Not sure what to do as many risks, side or longer term effects?

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Community.

My simple answer to your question is to say a big yes from me, it was totally worth going through the Stem Cell Transplant (SCT) process.

My story is 24 years long, diagnosed way back with in 1999 at 44 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Skin NHL.

You can see my full story through this LINK but basically after 14 years of treatments we only ever achieving partial remission lasting a maximum of 9 months having to go back in treatments.

In late 2013 my condition became very aggressive and the only pathway forward, even available that would make any difference was a significant amount of radiotherapy, chemotherapy ending up having an Allo (Donor) SCT…… I actually had to have 2 SCT.

If I had not rolled the SCT dice I had no other options, and a few years on the clock and would end up on palliative care.

I am now just over 8 years out from my second Allo SCT, I turn 68 next week and I am living a full and happy life.

You can see from my story that I did have some issues following my second Allo SCT but these were a small price to pay and I remain in remission to this day.

The other amazing thing is there are a few new treatments have been developed for my type of NHL so ai now have a fall back if things kick off again.

Happy to chat more and to answer questions.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you Mike. Read your story. What a journey. You’re a brave man. I’ve been through quite a few horrendous treatments, visits to the edge of life and long hospital stays too. And understand the transplant road will be adding more to that. 

• It’s all about the goal….. and we all have to do what is needed to achieve that goal.

What type of NHL do you have?

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• It’s a SMZL (splenic marginal zone lymphoma).

Its about the goal sure. But also about quality or quantity of life for me.

• Very true, although I had no real choice as it was life or no life…. so I suppose my decision was straightforward forward.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge