Sct

• 5 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi All,I came out of hospital on Friday after my SCT auto.

The transplant was on the 10/11 of August which went relatively well. I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on eating when I've a vile taste in my mouth all of the time and almost zero appetite which means I'm losing weight...

Also the fatigue as Saturday felt great and maybe overdid my new found freedom which knocked me of my feet all day Saturday and most of today..

Thanks John.

• Hi John

My wife had an allo 12 months ago, she said her food tasted metallic for a few weeks but gets better, try eating spicy foods if possible and maybe milkshakes, the stronger flavours will reduce the bad aftertaste you are experiencing. Doughnuts were also a good option.

Good luck

Fulhamboy (Nick)

• Many thanks,doughnuts sound good ThumbsupThumbsup

• Hi John 

I viewed this as simply getting ‘fuel (energy)’ into my body and nothing to do with taste. As I was unable to walk let alone be safe holding a sharp knife or hot pan so my long suffering wife was prepping everything.

We went for a simple little and often approach. So regular (every 60-90 mins) having small cups of good homemade soup with some double cream in it. Mashed potatoes with cream and melted cheese. Scrambled eggs with cream and cheese. Try putting some mashed pineapple or Mellon into ice cube trays, freezing them and sucking on them regularly….. this will pass.

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training. Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it…….

She also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• John, you are only what 18 days post SCT…… I was not long out of the Critical Care Unit for the second time as my heart was going crazy….. just remember that these problems are temporary Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge