Stem Cell Transplant for TPLL

• 16 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hi, I joined this community early December. At the time we thought my other half had CLL. Unfortunately, we received the devastating news yesterday that he has T-Cell-Pro-Lymphocytic-Leukaemia. Apparently, this type of leukaemia is aggressive and rare. Fortunately, or not it was detected during a random blood test for something else. My partner is a healthy 72 year old. He is to undergo antibody chemo for 3 months to try and put him into remission. The chemo is Alemtuzumab (campath)! However, we have been told this cancer usually comes back within a year, or less. The only curative is Stem Cell Transplant. We are told because of his age SCT, has a 30% chance of being successful. 
Has anyone else undergone successful Stem Cell Transplant, and experienced this type of leukaemia? 

• I had no symptoms other than a slightly raised lymphocyte count which was picked up in routine blood test. Following further increases I had a bone marrow biopsy which confirmed TPLL. I am young ( in my 50s) for this disease but it does mean I can have a donor sct.

I had 12 weeks of Campath. A few reactions in the first two weeks but I was an inpatient then, after then had it as an outpatient. Also had a nasty rash which lasted a while. It got me into remission ready for my sct next week.

• Hi Sarah, I have some more questions if you don’t mind answering? 
    1. how long were you in remission before you embark on your SCT next week? 
    2. did your white blood cells or lymphocyte count ever come down? 
    3. The consultant said in his opinion my partner is fit and healthy to undergo SCT. What was your experience with the SCT like? 

Thanks again

• Of course, no problem.

I was due to only have a few weeks between end of Campath and sct but in the end have had 3.5 months due to a dodgy scan which had to be repeated - latest scan clear.

Yes Campath brings the lymphocytes down quite quickly - few weeks.

Im going in next week for my sct.

What is his WBC? Will his sct be donor or own cells ?

• His WBC count has gradually come down from 189 to 172. His lymphocyte count has come down from 182 to 150. The SCT will be by donor.

• Sarah, wishing you all the very best for a successful outcome on your SCT journey. I am sure you have been well prepped and prepared  by the SCT team. Take care.