What to pack

• 20 replies
  • 10 subscribers

I’m back having found this group useful before we are now ready for my mums Auto SCT on 17th Dec. Harvest just been completed. She’s obviously scared at 70 years of age!  My job is to keep her motivation going right now so she’s asked me to help start getting her case packed. Please let me know what the absolute must haves are and any items which might make the stay more pleasant. We know she will have her own fridge so any go to ideas to stock in there?

on a less practical side I have a more medical question please.  They have said she has 2 ‘markers’ which have some risks, but I have been only able to establish that 1 relates to the bone marrow and 1 is to do with chromosome? Any ideas on this, however I appreciate it may be a broad question?

thanks for any input

• Thanks for the heads up on thatI will let her know so she doesn’t panic. That’s the thing with all this, so many different unknowns so trying to open her mind to all possibilities so has some realistic expectations 

• DIFLAM mouth wash is very good to use regularly even if no mouth problems come to fruision, but will help prevent them in the first instance. Again the hospital should provide this or a similar product.

• Great will make sure we take plenty in 

• Oh thanks really wasn’t sure what would be provided 

• You can see this information in the link I gave you but the two weeks leading up to the M and all the way through until I got out of the unit I was using a two pack oral mouth rinse called Caphosol.

So I set my phone for every 3 hours to make sure that I was doing this all day. My head consultant said that the Caphosol was rather expensive but if I used it correctly it would save me a lot of mouth pain and having to be on other drugs to over come any bad mucositis. I did well with only one very small area developing and it was not a problem.

Melphalan also strips your gut of healthy bacteria so bad diarrhoea is inevitable and lengthy. It also takes your gut a long time to recover so don’t expect it to go for a while.

Once mucostis gets past a certain point the Caphosol will not be so effective so more specific anti-fungal/painkiller treatments need to be used to get the condition under control.

So what ever they give her to use, use it EVERY day as it does help.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks can we buy Caphosol or should she ask for this from her consultant to start it now? Will they provide this automatically or would she need to request it?

• Good point Mike.

I forgot to mention the gut issues with Mephalam.

Reedy71.

If you want to be sure what your mum will be provide with, it may be a good idea to call your mums CNM to just check and put you and your mums mind at rest.

• Not all units supply it so do ask. I had it during both my SCTs and had no problems with mucostis….. A few folks who have come through the community did manage to purchase it and take it in and did not regret it ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge