Own Stem cells, out in three weeks!

• 6 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Got out a bit early in Jan, spent crimbo in seclusion, doing ok but lots of aches and pains.  Wife has been tremendous but were feeling the strain now.  Had tablet chemo through last summer and autumn, was lucky living near Derriford who were amazing.

• Hi again  and well done navigating across to this corner. 

There is no real pattern, not a one size fits all for the post SCT journey but it sounds like you are actually doing ok.

Following my first Allo SCT June 2014 it’s was as if alI had been on retreat holiday, good food!!, watching the World Cup when I wanted, was in the unity 28 days. jumped in the  car and drove home to Inverness from the unit in Glasgow.

But my graft failed by December 2014 so went back for my second Allo SCT in Oct 2015 and that was a completely different story (hit my community name for the full version)

It takes time to navigate the post SCT months and years but you may want to have a look at this ongoing thread where we have collected out thoughts Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Of course, I wasn't boasting, just giving myself a lift.  Will check out the link, congrats to you too!

• No it’s great that you were out in that timeframe and I always hope that this is the same for as many as possible. 

The average infection rate post SCT  including a hospital stay is about 2 in the first year so let’s look for you to keep infection safe. 

Take time to navigate these early days, try and get some regular exercise, eat a balanced diet and you will done be looking back at this part of your life with blurry memories.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Well I'm almost six months in and the only infection I had was prior to the transplant so Fingers crossedhowever neuropathy is preventing me from walking too far.  It was easing but Lenalidomide is curtailing progress a little.

• Yes Peripheral Neuropathy can be challenging, my hands were bad and it stopped me from doing a lot of tasks, buttons on a shirt was a mystery Rolling eyes

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• My hands are ok, the further south you go the more effect it has had.  Lenalidomide seems to be making the symptoms worse again.  Phone consultation today, so I will ask about dropping the dose if possible.