Aml Relapse

• 4 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi, 

I am new to this group just looking for some reassurance . My husband was diagnosed with Aml in 2016 just after we had our 3rd baby girl . Our whole life was shaken . So he went through 4 cycles of chemo and then finally had a transplant in 2018 from an unrelated donor . Now as the title says we have got the news that he has relapsed . I dont know this time it seems that it has hit us really hard. Just wanted to know if there are anyone with similar experience, how hard easy it will be this time ... My mind is just filling up with so many thoughts... dont know where to start...

• Hi  and welcome to our little corner of the Community but so sorry to hear about your husbands post Allo (donor) SCT relapse.

As we all know the SCT process is amazing but at the same time full of twists and turns with no guarantees.

I had my first Allo SCT for a rare Skin Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma back in June 2014 with cells from my brother.

I had relapsed by the end of December 2014. There was some discussion and it was agreed that we have another go using a completely different conditioning so I had my second Allo SCT in October 2015. It was not a great experience but I got through it and eventually found remission in Sep 2016.

I suppose it all about finding out all the possibilities that are out there and encouraged his team to look far and wide for the best treatment plans available.

Happy to talk more ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much Mike for your reply . He will be having a chat with his oncologist today so hopefully he will guide us more . I can see from your profile you have been so strong through out your journey which is a positive example for all of us .  I just wanted to ask you when u refer to different type of conditioning what does that mean ? 

Thanks

• Hi again, so the ‘conditioning’ is when they take down the immune system just before the Stem Cells are put in.

So for my SCT number 1 I had the Stanford Regime TLI/ATG plan with 10 sessions of TLI (Total Lymphoid Irradiation) and a week of ATG (anti-thymocyte globulin). It was a touch of an experiment and the hope was I would recover quickly with little side effects, this was the case, but it did not work.

For my second SCT I had 3 weeks of Radiotherapy (30 sessions) then had one week of aggressive conditioning using FluMelAlem30 this included a big hit of Melphalan and as you see it all worked but it took years to recover.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you so much for the details. He will add this in his list of questions that he will ask his oncologist today .. Slight smile