Stem Cell Transplant

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 5 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Thank you for giving me this push to start a new discussion.

I relapsed last year and after trying a countless number of chemotherapy and immunotherapy treatments and my treatment not responding and cancer spreading, I am grateful to be in complete remission. Or am i.......I feel like I am emotionally numb to life and have been for the past 8 months. I am just trying to survive each day but nothing makes me happy not even news that I have been waiting for...remission.

I think it also isn't helped by the fact that I have a stem cell transplant in the next 6 weeks. I spoke with a consultant today who has mentioned how having a donor and not using my own stem cells means there is a larger risk, more of a risk of death.

I am very anxious, and I fear my mental health will deteriorate even more. I know it will be testing and I have anxiety and nausea from the thought of chemotherapy alone. I also am trying to work on my career which is not possible, and I am not sure whether to revise or put it off until after stem cell transplant. I just don't know what to do or expect and feel alone with it. I also do not think people around me understand the severity around it.

I don't want to read too much about it, as it will be my own journey and sometimes its better to be oblivious..

Sending you all love and light X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I am also reading into risks, and chance of relapse etc. so I have found myself in an anxious state :) joys.

• Raveen , well done in navigating over to our little corner and welcome to Stem Cell Transplant Rollercoaster World.

As you know, you can hit our Community names and see our stories but my long story short is after two Allo SCTs I have been in remission since September 2016 from a condition that was diagnosed way back in 1999 then being told it was incurable but treatable and would never see remission...... so I am a happy man.

We all have had that 'talk' from our consultants but they do have to tell you ALL the possibilities. But every journey is very different but the one thing you do need to be prepared for is that recovery post SCT may take months, a good few months so keep that in mind as you look at the future.

You may want to follow this LINK and have a look at our SCT info book..... and even send this to your family and fiends so they can start to understand.

We are around to walk this with you and happy to answer any questions ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Our posts passed each other within minutes...... the risks!!

I have to say that I did view going through my SCTs as an acceptable risk, but in reality I had not much option as my condition had become very aggressive and time was running out very quickly.

Allo SCT has become very successful in getting folks into long term remission so I can only see the positives....... and in reality, you can stress and fret as much as you want but it won't make any difference as to what will happen but it will make a difference as to how you mentally get through this. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

thank YOU.

I have started journaling today and I mentioned how I joined this community and feel welcomed already. 

So truly thank you.

Will be using the lead up to the transplant by focusing on health and worrying less - anxiety is crazy!

• Hi Raveen,

I just wanted to extend another warm welcome to this corner of the forum. Heading into an SCT is a daunting time and I hope you’ll find a lot of good support here, between us there is not much we haven’t experienced.

I think my key advice would be to take the approach that works best for you. Some like to know everything, others like to know nothing, others are somewhere in between. I think it’s important to find your own happy place that works for you as an individual. But please do use this site for support as and when you need it and hopefully you’ll find someone to connect with what you are experiencing and to help you along the way.

All the very best

Greg