Post Stem Cell Transplant

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 10 subscribers

Hi All,

Had my Stem cells back on the 19th Dec and was heading home by the 28th Dec.

Its now about 10 weeks since and doing well I guess.

I had my 1st bad cold last week and was over it in 4 days the same time it took my wife to recover. So I'm a little less worried about Coronavirus seeing me off.

I'm still not 100% energy wise, I guess I'm about 60%, I get tired quickly and a busy week can wipe me out for the weekend. Its a case of me thinking I'm back to normal and over doing it, which gets me in big trouble with my wife.

All the best to other post stem cellers out there.

• Hi , so good to hear from you.

Very reassuring that your new immune system is working well, my first cold turned into full on Pneumonia with 7 days in hospital on IV antibiotics Mask

One day at a time is the best plan but 60% in my books is rather good progress.

In the list I was given by my head Consultant (check our Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide thread) ‘60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food’...... so I think you are further up the recover list than you think - check the link,

In reality the Coronavirus is not much different to the other viruses stemcellers are open to at this time of the year, in fact all year.

We all understand infection risk as it’s part of SCT life...... a high percentage of the population are learning this quick and panicking.

Keep well my friend.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve,

Great to hear from you again! You’re doing really well. I hope you are enjoying your new immune cells and those myeloma cells having being obliterated! It can take some time to get back up to full speed after SCT but you’re making good progress and getting over the cold shows that things are working as they should. Let’s hope that this all continues for a very long time!

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Mike,

Sorry for the very late reply, only now had a chance to sit at my PC.

Thank you for the information and hope you are staying safe from COVID-19.

All the very best,

Steve

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

Hi Greg

Thank you for your positive words and hope you are staying safe from COVID-19.

All the very best,

Steve

• Hi Steve , yes in lock down but doing ok Rolling eyes

As you are within the 6 mo this post SCT Group you do fall into the governments This Information 12 week Shielding Extremely Vulnerable Group - 

What do we mean by extremely vulnerable?

People falling into this extremely vulnerable group include:

1. Solid organ transplant recipients.

2. People with specific cancers:
      • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy for lung cancer
      • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
      • people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody it treatments for cancer
      • people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
      • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs

Stay sage my friend.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Steve,

Don’t want to add to the stress but just wanted to clarify re: Mike’s post, due to the nature of myeloma, the length of time post-SCT doesn’t matter, all myeloma patients regardless of stage, treatment or remission are in the extremely vulnerable group. We are unfortunately in this for the long haul!

Hope you can find a way to stay safe!

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

Thanks, Greg and Mike,

Yes, I'm aware that with MM I'm vulnerable so I have not been out even before being told to do so by my Cancer care coordinator.

I managed to get about 3 weeks of partial freedom and a moderate beer before isolating myself again on the sure arrival of Corona in the UK. I'm quite happy to spend another  3 to 4 months indoors if that's what's needed, as I have become very good at planning a routine to keep me fit, sain and happy. 

The good news is I had blood results last week over the phone and my lower level immune system (I think I described that right) had a level of 203, 3months after the stem cell transplant. I was told most after 3 months have only about 90.

A normal person starts at about 400

All the very best,

Steve