Life after CAR-T

• 2 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi all.

i don't understand this website so I have no idea which group I’m posting this in. After some months of symptoms I was diagnosed with large diffuse B-cell non-hodgkins lymphoma triple hit in Oct 201Cry I went into kidney failure soon afterwards due to the tumour blocking my ‘tubes’ inside my pelvis. I had bilateral nnephrostomies and dialysis for a few weeks and did eventually recover once the tuCryur was gone, but was left with neuropathy in both feet and legs a drop foot and a paralysed lower a wheelchair user. My first remission was in March 2019, symptoms started again in MayCryMorchemo happened in August which I had a neurotoxic reaction to so although in remission again I was told I could have no more chemo. I relapsed again in Sept and in Oct was given 6 months to livCry This meant I was eligible for the new CAR-T treatment. I had this in November but had a severe cytokine release syndrome which led to neurotoxicity, high fever, hypertension, seizures, pneumonia flCryand VrE syndrome (don’t know what that is) I was in ICU for 3 and a half weeks and for 2 and a half of those I was in a coma not expected to live. I have very few memories from Nov 27th to Dec 23rd Cry19. I was discharged on Jan 10th and my 3 month post CAR-T PET-CT scan has shown that the treatment has worked and my cancer has gone. It seems everyone is delighted but me! Yes I’m happy but I am sCryll living with the disability and constant pain caused by the neuropathy. I used to be a keen fell walker and Geocacher (google it) but now I cannot even do the housework and can no longer drive. I Crysperately mourn for the life I had. And some days all I can do is sleep. I am so depressed I feel like what’s the point of living, I can’t do any of the things I used to do Cryand now this post has random sad faces and letters missing. Even this has gone wrong for me

• Hi again  

At this point in time we don't have a dedicated CAR-T group but Stem Cell Transplant is basically on the same page as CAR-T so you are in the next best group.

In some measure I can understand the post treatment left overs you have. It is early days post a major life changing event so do not be over hard on yourself.

The random sad faces are unfortunate (it can happen) but I take this as on indication where life is for you at the moment........ if you were typing 'happy' things it could also be randomly posting happy faces.

What is the silver lining in this? well a clear PET..... Is this enough?......... at this time in the journey possible not. Disappointed I am 4  years 3 months and 11 days post my second Allo Stem Cell Transplant and can now look back to first 6 months post treatment and can totally connect with a good number of the treatment left overs.

I can't say that the recover, recuperation and healing happened quickly....... it just took time and more time than I first was willing to give it.

There are a few who post who have been on the CAR-T journey so lets look for them to pick up on your post.

Regardless the cancer journey, many people do look at this great paper and find it one more stepping stone in the way forward.

We do also have a general Life after cancer group, its a great place to talk with other who are walking the post treatment life.

When you have some time you may want to put the information in this post into your profile as this can help a lot. Click here to see how to add details as this helps everyone to see a little about you and how best to reply to you.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Lellynelly, sorry to read you are part of the group that have experienced an adverse reaction, one of the first people on another forum to document their Car-t experience had a similar neurotoxicity experience and what I can share is that with time things did improve and did become better, not fully but to a point where live was better than it had been during the depths of the dark times and bad experiences.

What I would say is give yourself at least a year and see how the recovery goes as you are still in the convalescing stage and for some who do suffer with neurotoxicity the recovery is much longer and you have had a lot of drugs which the body will still be getting rid of.

when you have the energy, try to do something that makes you smile, and ask if any supplements or vitamin boosts can be given to help with the fatigue and neuropathy. 

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are