Coronavirus

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 17 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has had any information on the Coronavirus from a health professional and what that means for us post SCT patients?

I am 3 years post allo transplant (sibling) and have been remarkably well up until now but with the current threat of Coronavirus in the news I wondered what that means for us and should I be worried about getting it?

I was planning to go away on holiday at Easter to the US but am having second thoughts now as to whether it's a good idea to travel if I don't have to.

Best wishes,

Lucy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul1969

Hi Everyone-Guess I am in need of a little reassurance.  My mother had her allogeneic transplant 2 years ago.  (Just by luck, the first part of her 2 year check up with her local doc is tomorrow).  We live in Virginia across the Pond where there are 6 (yes only 6) cases of confirmed coronavirus, 10 total in the D.C. Area.  Panic seems to be spreading.  Schools are shutting down, there is a run on supplies, people are starting to get nervous.  My mother's health the last year has been excellent.  She hasn't even sniffled.  She gets her monthly IGG top offs, because one level (when last checked) was just a tad below normal.  

My father, a physician himself, told her it's almost time for "house arrest."  His concern is she hasn't yet had her live vaccine shots.  I sincerely hope her hermatologist tests her tomorrow for corona, we know for sure she's negative, and then she can complete her vaccinations and hole up inside for a while.  

I know we're overreacting in the US, even if just a little bit.  But anyone else dealing with being a couple years out of SCT and feeling like you're in limbo?

Thanks!

• Hi,

yes I remember that feeling for our lass, but she’s now 8+ years out and although she’s been ill often, had pneumonia a few times, she’s now regularly on igs through the winter and coping, unfortunately her level is clinically very low. 
    I think we need to hope, take care, use a mask if needed (they aren’t that effective but do stop you touching your face so are a reminder) and wash hands far more often than normal, especially before meals and after any potential risks like door handles. 
    Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Kris , good to hear your mum is making good progress, the first few years post SCT can be hard work.

Just remember that the precautions she would normally be advised to take post Allo SCT are the same as for this virus, indeed my team basically told me to isolate for the first 6 months post my 2 Allos and I stretched this to more like 9 months.

The link below takes you to the UK Bloodwise Info Page on Coronavirus. 

bloodwise.org.uk/.../coronavirus-and-blood-cancer

I am 4 1/2 years post my second Allo and tomorrow I have my final Late Effects Clinic with my SCT Team but this will be on Face Time so no contact....... but that is what we do when it’s a 9hr round trip to my unit.

I have had NO live vaccines in this time just my non live ones and this will be one of the subjects we will cover on the call. Most people post Allo SCT will never have live shots.

With out the coronavirus going to hospital for a SCT patient has always been risky but taking normal precautions will be ok..... hand washing, scarf or mask over the mouth, gloves, keep clear of big crowds........ Our Heamatology Clinic had a room just for SCT patients.

The world is panicking over something SCT patients have to do all the time as the flue can turn into Pneumonia and this can be just as bad.

Stay safe, turn the TV off and be wise ((hugs)) to your mum from a distance,

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Thank you!  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Thanks so much for the kind words.  Her doctor’s visit went well, and he claims he is mad at the press for so much hype...lol.  He is still more concerned about the flu over the corona and common sense will go a long way here.  She is very logical about avoiding large crowds and washing/disinfecting clothes and hands.  

You all take care, too! 

• I had a message from another UK source (a fb group specific for relapsed/refractory HL) and he has been advised that ALL post allo patients should self isolate for 12 weeks, whatever their status. 

Hope that helps? Daughter has decided to do just that, her partner has decided she will work from home for that time too. Partners mother has got the virus already, but they haven’t seen her for a while. Daughter is due to be trained in self administering immunoglobulins but there’s a backlog and it might take a couple of months.  

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• I am talking to the immunology consultant tomorrow so will get as much info as possible..

The information I have got from the CNS is that I would come into the vulnerable group but not at the highest risk. They recommend that I practise Social distancing instead of strict isolation..  That may be because I do my own immunoglobulins.. 

Will find out more tomorrow and let you know.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.