Lumps and bumps

• 5 replies
  • 12 subscribers

Hi everyone,

Havent been on here for a while but just need to have some opinions and reassurance really. Hubby and I have been away on holiday to Canada for 3 weeks and got back last week, we had a wonderful time. I was itching my right boob( sorry guys ) as you do and could feel a bit of a lump. It’s very squishy and soft, and had it been anywhere else I probably wouldn’t have worried but obviously because it’s new( I think) and on a boob, I went to the GP who also said she thinks it is a lipoma but sending me for a mammogram etc( last one 2 years ago was clear). So this week I’ve gone from sheer panic to we’ll deal with whatever happens but not to worried. 

Then tonight Katy tells me she has a lump like a pea on her thigh, so immediately I’m panicking as I know she is a higher risk of other cancers after having her transplant. I said she needs to go to the GP on Monday but any further advice? She already has herself diagnosed with lymphoma, sarcoma and anything else she can think of. Her bloods are fine and she’s doing very well otherwise. 

I hate this feeling of sheer panic for anything that is suddenly not normal , does it ever go away? 

• Hi Judith, it does get better but it can just take time, no simple fix to this,

Lumps and bumps do need to be checked out. I have had a few lumps and bumps come and go over the past 4 years with one a permanent fixture on the other side of my neck where my growth was. Every one was checked and given the all clear.

As the time post treatment gets longer and the space between clinics gets longer things improve.

I am sure you have seen this great paper but it is worth looking at it again.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Judith,

Really pleased that you had a good time in Canada although I’m sorry for what you have come back to.

I always say if in any doubt, or if it’s bothering you, then definitely get it checked out. It’s better to put your mind at ease.

It definitely takes a long time to regain trust in the body again. I think I have said before that I’ve convinced myself of another serious illness about 500 times in the past 3 and a half years. I think it comes from the fact that now that something rare has hit us, we find it very hard to trust that any further unusual development is nothing to worry about. 

I’m not sure the panic goes away entirely, but it definitely recedes with time. In a way, I had to go through a fair few false alarms to help me build up the trust again. Of course, it definitely could be something, so I would never discourage you from going to the medical teams to get something checked out. It’s also true that our bodies are fighting stuff all the time, and they work stuff out all the time without the need for intervention.

It can be a precarious balance between being vigilant and obsessive. You and Katy will probably find the right balance with time, but don’t be too harsh on yourself - in the early days, the fear/panic can be all-consuming and so the peace of mind might be the way to go until you have a bit more of a bank of false alarms.

All the best

Greg

• Hi,

thanks, I’ve just read this and yea it’s quite true and I’m not even the one having gone through it. It’s right about the normal now- it doesn’t really exist. But Katy will definitely go to her dr on Monday . 

Judith

KT’s mum 

• Hi Greg,

Thanks for that, hopefully it’s nothing in both our cases . 

Judith

KT’s mum 

• Hi Judith, 

I’ve  come to this late bug just know I’m thinking of you both and yes, a trip to GP is definitely the right thing to do!

hugs xxx

Moomy