Im scared about husbands hospital discharge

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 33 replies
  • 11 subscribers

My husband had donor SCT 13 days ago, and Doctors are saying he could possibly be discharged within 4 days. He has been having TPN for last 7 days, he has syringe driver with morphine and also needs oral morphine every 2-3 hours. He is telling nurses that he is tolerating diet and fluids, but I know he is flushing them down the toilet.  I have been there when he has tried to eat and drink and he cant put anything at all in his mouth due to the pain in his mouth . He is also needing IV antibiotics. I want my husband home as much as he wants to come home, but if he does come home with a pump etc for his TPN,  he will be telling medical staff that I will be able to cope, when I know I will not be able to. We live over an hour away from the hospital and it's not as if I can get him there quickly in a emergency.  Will I be able to tell doctors that if he is discharged without taking proper diet and fluids then I'm not prepared to be his primary carer ?

I don't want him to come home before he is medically fit , then have to go back into hospital as an emergency 

Please help if anyone else has had these concerns. 

• Hi Sash,

with stairs to do too, for the first few days expect to have to wake him for meds, food and drink and don’t expect much else, just the act of getting and being at home is exhausting! 

Hope all goes well, we will be thinking of you both! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Sash,

Definitely take it easy the first few days. I was a relatively fit 36 year old before transplant and I really struggled with stairs the first few days at home. It’s good that he’s off TPN, and like you say, it will probably do him good to be home. The hospital is never far away so definitely wheel him in if he needs it. I ended up spending 70 of the first 100 days in hospital and it’s often common to need to go back in, so definitely use it if you need it.

All the best

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

I will Mike ..trust me !!! I've been down this road before with my Dad when he was discharged from hospital too soon, and I had no support whatsoever from any type of medical team, district nurses, etc  and my Dad ended up with Septicaemia,  which is unfortunately what he died fro   so I'm certainly not going through that again .  But I've got to give him this chance just to prove to him that life ain't gonna just go back to normal now he's out of hospital.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Thanks mommy. I know he is going to be exhausted, unfortunately I don't think he realises how much this taken its toll on his system and body.  But I've got to let him see that and I'll be there to pick up the pieces 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Sorry ..moomy.  I hate predictive text !!

• Hi again Sash , I only answers on the back of your short OST about his Neuts.

Some hospital food can be a challenge, I found that plates of food put me off so we did a grazing diet, stuff that he loves (but he may not now) in little places in little quantities - often as his system will be recovering.

Stuff like good home made soups with some cream, I had mashed potatoes a lot with cream and cheese as it went down well. Scrambled eggs and porridge just to keep it simple and and get the protein into him.

We have no stairs apart from two steps, the first time I had to climb a complete stair is was in my hands and knees.

((hugs)) to you and we are always around.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Yeah, thanks Mike TheHighlander, he is looking forward to cheesy creamy mash and gravy, so I'm boiling a chicken as we speak so I can make proper gravy with proper stock lol . I'm not gonna force him to eat ..just yet , as I think that will really put him off  I'm just gonna make him what he fancies, but fortify it with cream, cheese etc.  He is also enjoying the protein drinks (surprisingly) and there is also a shop nearby that makes milkshakes with ice cream and fresh whipped cream etc so I'll be frequently that quite alot .

• Hi Sash, 

Be prepared for a few oddities! daughter really really wanted a fried egg on toast for breakfast when she got home but hated it! I think all the meds changed her taste buds a bit. And stairs (she was living in an old bobbin mill at the time with hefty stairs) were taken VERY slowly!

as the place she was living in, is on the edge of the Pennines, every outside walk involved a hill, so we really did take her rehab slowly and steadily! I remember her first decent walk (about a mile or perhaps less) was after the first snow, too (she got discharged towards the end of October) and she really enjoyed it even though we were arm in arm. She was incredibly well wrapped up, too, I think after an allo the body is trying hard to build itself up  so personal temperature controls can be a bit odd, her first Christmas we were all in tee shirts, popping outside every so often to cool off, while she was wrapped up well, a fleece round her, heating and wood stove all full on! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

I hate to be a killjoy but check whether FRESH cream is allowed. Think it has to be synthetic or pasteurised. Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Guys

Well the hubby is home, and he says Hi and wants to thank you all for the support you have given me these last couple of days. 

He is eating ok, managed 2 slices of bacon, fried egg and 1 slice of bread last night which I was very surprised at, but I'm just letting him eat what he wants when he wants.  When he got home yesterday, he was very surprised at how out of breath he was going upstairs,  so I think he realises now he needs to take baby steps into what he can do physically.  He is also exhausted, which I told him about from what you all said, but having trouble actually getting a decent sleep ..Can anybody advise on if they experienced this and if so how they overcame it .  He had Zopiclone whilst in hospital but we were hoping once he was home, he would be able to sleep without them . Hes wanting a "chippy" tea tonight so guess where I'm off to soon.

Many Thanks again, and I post another update in next couple of days .

Love from us both

P.S Hubby is called Gary