Allo tomorrow

• 71 replies
  • 15 subscribers

Hi Guys,

I posted the following on another forum earlier this week which is purely for Hodgkin’s but thought I would share it here as it sums up my emotions perfectly at the moment so sorry if you’ve already seen it. 

Really enjoyed what will probably be my last run for a while this morning as later this week (6th) I will be admitted to Plymouth hospital for my Allo stem cell transplant in the hope that we can finally get on top of this horrible disease. I’m really going to miss it and not just the fitness aspect but also the social side and especially the many wonderful friends I’ve made who have supported me in my battle over the past year or two.
It’s hard to believe that not the long ago I was diagnosed with the relatively rare blood cancer, Hodgkin’s Lymphoma but can remember the consultant telling me it was very treatable with a cure rate at nearly 90% but yet here I am nearly two years and 6 failed treatments later literally still fighting for my life but yet still feeling truly blessed to have so many wonderful people in my life, the ones that have kept me believing throughout all this, my amazing family & wonderful friends.
Thursday I start my conditioning chemo before I receive my completely new stem cell and immune system from my donor in Germany who has kindly agreed to do this. The cells are a 9/10 match which isn’t perfect so I’m fully aware it comes with increased and life threatening risks but I will be forever grateful to this person for potentially saving my life and giving me a chance.
I’m not going to lie and act all brave so I will just be honest and tell you how scared I am. I’m scared I won’t be there to watch my daughter Jaime graduate university and get her dream job as a nurse or walk her down the aisle, I’m scared I won’t be there to watch Oliver my eldest boy become a mechanic, pass his driving test or take him for a pint, I’m scared I won’t be there to watch Charlie my 8 year old become an aircraft engineer or even better score the winning goal for Leeds Utd in the Champions League final. I’m scared I won’t be able to grow old with Marissa, the woman I love with all my heart and the fantastic mother of our three children but mostly importantly I’m scared I won’t be there to tell them all just how much I love them and how proud I am of them all. The past 2 years have been horrible for me but it’s even harder on these four and especially the children. This should be the happiest and most care free times of their lives but it’s not and even though it’s not my fault, I am responsible and that really upsets me.
The past few months I’ve spent chatting with some amazing people online including this forum who’ve gone through this and come through the other side, offering me comfort and advice and even though I try to focus on the positive stories the fact is for other people it goes horribly wrong and it’s only human to reflect on these stories also but unfortunately this is my only realistic chance left for cure so it’s a risk I’m prepared to take.
The next year or so is going to be extremely tough and at times scary with a roller coaster of emotions along the way with good and bad days but with the continued love, support and understanding of all the people around me and just a little bit of luck for a change, I believe I can see this through. Wish me luck. Heart

Regards

Mark

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

You sound well-prepared. Best of luck to you and feel free to come here to complain about symptoms .We've all been there and totally get it. Tell Marissa, Jaime, Oliver, and Charlie how much you love them and all your hopes for them and then go forth every day knowing you will be there for them.

• Hi Mark,

i just read your update elsewhere, hope they get that offending Hickman lime removed ASAP and that you maintain your improvement otherwise.....

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Oh dear! I hope they get it out soon too!

Glad to see there is also a bit of improvement even with a line infection..! 

Xx

HopefulMummy123 x

• Line Infections - pants.

Lets look for this to be fixed and that you continue to improve. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hey guys. 

Well I’m nearly 2 weeks old and apart from the temperatures I’m generally feeling ok and much improved on this time last week. I’m eating more but I’ve had the syringe driver taken off today so fingers crossed and we will see how that goes. 

One for my fellow Allo transplanters. What day did the donor cells start to graft in making your neuts rise and if you suffered GvHD, when did first notice this and what was it. I have developed a rash over the past few days but it’s not itchy or sore and doesn’t cause any issues.
    On a separate point, did anybody get told they weren’t allowed to bring there own food in? The food in here is on par with pig swill so I’ve been asking my wife stock my fridge with microwaveable meal from M&S and eating one of these each day, mainly pasta dishes but they’ve said I shouldn’t be doing that so I told him to eat some himself and then tell me. Nauseated face

Regards 

Mark x

• Hi Mark,

Great to read that things have been picking up for you and long may that continue, although you are now entering what I call the “3 steps forward, 2 steps back” phase - ie, the path to full recovery is not smooth and you’ll definitely have days where you feel you’re going backwards. But hang in there, the goal is still there in front of you.

Re: engraftment, I honestly can’t remember specifically but it must have been around Day 10 because I was discharged on Day 12 with the auto and Day 13 with the Allo and I remember I was discharged pretty quick after engraftment. As to GvHD, I remember checking myself for little rashes pretty much straight away but the Doctors were never too concerned. Then around Day 50, it all kicked off, I got a large rash all over the trunk of my body - I didn’t need to ask whether it was GvHD as it was pretty obvious. I don’t think there is any hard and fast rule, GvHD can happen at any time post transplant so it’s always best to get it checked out with the medical teams if you are unsure about something.

Also, re: food, I wasn’t allowed to bring my own food in either. You’ll probably be on a neutropenic diet for a bit anyway so I always figured it was best to be careful. I can’t remember the exact details but your hospital should give you a guide as to what foods are and are not acceptable. Maybe you could negotiate if the microwave foods are on that list?

Greg

• Hi Mark

Good to hear things are getting better!

I left hospital 16 days after my allo. I had a fairly easy run apart from sepsis after 2 days! But once the iv antibiotics kicked in after a few days I began to improve quite quickly. Can’t remeber when my counts began to improve but they must have been ok by day 16.

GVHD came after day 100 when the cyclosporine was stopped (gradually). I think it happened around 7 months post allo. EBV kicked in about 4 months post allo.

i guess with the food they are worried about you being neutropenic and from memory there is a list if things you shouldn’t be eating whilst neutropenic. I imagine they just want to ensure you aren’t eating anything on the “banned” list! 

I lived on tinned Heinz tomato soup and toast which the nurses would make for me any time of day or night when I asked. When friends asked if I needed anything it was always tins of tomato soup I asked for when they visited. 

Hopefully you will be home soon and can get some decent food into yourself.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Ps sorry about typos. Sitting at Barts waiting for late effects clinic so using my phone! 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Hi Mark,

daughter was allowed microwave meals as long as they were well within date and the kitchen staff on the ward did the preparation. I suspect they will be being super careful as any food poisoning risks are really critical. 

She engrafted from auto within 9 days and was discharged. After allo I think it was around day 13-14, but she had a reaction to her syringe driver so was kept in to deal with that, but allowed to walk around the ward, but after visiting hours, around the hospital to build up a bit of strength. 

I think GvHD gave her a rash fairly early but later on the rash became very evident, they increased steroids to deal with it but later on it was controlled by steroid ointment and cream. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy