Late effects and problems

• 69 replies
  • 11 subscribers

I thought it might be an idea to start a new thread for the late effects and any problems folk get post auto and allo, particularly those which appear a year or so down the line.

After an allo then infections are common, particularly within the first year, the average for readmissions for this is three.

But after that some folk continue to get problems. Daughter has had immunoglobulin on and off to try to prevent infection. She went a complete year without and had an awful lot of problems, lots of antibiotics; they measured her immune levels at less than 1. Average ‘low’ is 6. So this last winter they tried hard to build it up, having I/G’s around 2-3 week intervals. She had her allo in September 2011. 

today she has suddenly begun a nasty, painful, productive cough and raised temp. Fortunately she has an excellent GP who sees her fast and is interested in her history. Hope it gets sorted!

hugs xxx

• ‘big School’ , love it!!!

Yes, I urged daughter to get a blood test to check her MMR levels, it’s awful that allo folk are at risk from an unsubstantiated rumour scare about vaccination! And yes, those folk are just at uni level now; imagine how the close contact in uni and halls of residence and all their parties will spread the bugs! Scary!!! 

Daughter is, thankfully, improving this morning (haven’t heard since, no news is good news, eh?) so we are far less worried. I think the worry arose as she went downhill so fast, to be honest! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• This is positive news moomy Thumbsup

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Very good news about your daughter, moomy.  I always watch out for a woman in the trombone section now, if there's an orchestra on the telly and wonder if it's her! 

Both my granddaughters have been chickenpox vaccinated too.   I have always been terrified of encountering people with shingles too - but doctor daughter had it herself recently and told me it's much more difficult to catch than chicken pox.  You have to come into direct contact with the pustules, or contamination on  towels etc. 

I understand that chicken pox and measles are really easy to catch from droplets in the air:  if there are 10 unvaccinated people in a room and an infected person comes in, 9/10 will catch it!  

• Lol, I do exactly the same when I see a brass section Slight smile

I was given a stock of Acyclovir to have in the house for the first signs of Shingles.

I also have a course of general Antibiotics that I can take for chest infections.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Haha, if you watched the recent Wimbledon Orchestra/celebration of Court One roof, she was there as principal trombone. She thinks she was booked because of her pop and jazz playing as well as classical, she’s a good allrounder! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Oh I missed that!  But it's still on iplayer, so I shall look her up*!  

Is she playing at the Proms this year?  ANOTHER year when I shall have to miss it!  I am well hacked off with that! 

I still take Aciclovir for prophylaxis 3 x a day.  Other than vitamins / minerals that are still on the rap-sheet, it's all I do take these days.  Makes a change from 32 tablets a day! 

Love to all. xx

*Edited: I found her! Bit like looking for a needle in a haystack, but I found her!  (My daughter was in the Olympics Opening ceremony - I kept seeing her right elbow before the camera shifted!) It's life-affirming to watch her.  It reminds us all how far we have come and what we can achieve after SCT.

• 32 tablets...... remember these days so well.

At 18 months post Allo number two I was taken off Aciclovir and Septrin and only left with Adcal and Clarithromycin, this antibiotic is for life as my Spleen no longer functions....... and apart from some pain meds for my damaged neck nerves that’s it. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Oh ye gods, those take home meds after an allo!  I remember daughter laying them all out, they almost filled the kitchen table! It was hard finding time to eat, she was so busy taking the meds! 

There was a momentary full face shot of her when Ivanisevic swapped to being a ball boy in the men’s doubles! She can’t remember what she was saying, though, but she really enjoyed the gig. BBCCO are down to the last two for that job, she’s glad it’s not her, though. It takes an age, from audition to trials for months, maybe years, till the orchestra whittle the applicants down to the final one, then sometimes the applicant doesn’t want the job anyway and it all starts again! 

And nobody has yet booked her for the Proms.....she has played a couple of times. She can be heard on the music sound track as principal trombone for the Dr Who series, she was playing with BBC NOW at the time. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

I was really miserable while I had to stay off salads. I still only have them at places I trust and pick out any bits that don't look fresh. Takes me back to being a picky child. I've just read a new book on cholesterol (more complicated than I thought) and done an online food order for next week. I get my veg at a nearby organic farm shop (and they have a good vegan café), veg boxes are too big for one person. Next time I've got to look for soya cheese as well.

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

My husband (two years post transplant) contracted shingles a couple of months ago, Unfortunately it was in his face (7th cranial nerve) and has left him with Ramsay Hunt syndrome...facial paralysis. We are told it is unlikely to recover completely, especially as it has remained for this long now. He cannot close his eye, requiring frequent eye drops, has to wear an eye patch outside, cannot speak or eat easily. It has negatively affected him almost more than anything else in this awful process because it is so visible and has attracted hurtful comments - even if they are not made with any malice.