EBV reactivation post SCT

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 6 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi all,

My husband had an allo SCT just over four years ago for CML. Pretty straightforward, had some DLI at 4 and 6 months but is otherwise well.

His EBV readings have been creeping up over the last 6 months, and he's now being given rituximab to get them under control, weekly for 4 weeks. Does anyone have any experience of this? 

• Hi , sorry to hear this news.

I have no experience of EBV but there are a number who have so let’s look for them to pick up on your post.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi

I had EBV about 4 months after my allo which was treated with rituximab. 

‘I had been ill with a really bad throat for about 3 weeks before the hospital finally diagnosed EBV. After the first dose the symptoms had disappeared altogether the next day and I didn’t have any sickness or tiredness during the 4 doses. 

I did lose my hair after the retuximab ( about 5-6 weeks after the first dose).

my immune system took a battering from the treatment but I was at a very different stage post SCT than your husband.

Compared to the other chemos and treatments the retuximab was easy. Have had no reoccurrence of EBV since ( 5 1/2 years).

Hope  the treatment goes well.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Paul1969

That's so helpful, thanks Paul. The list of side effects looks long but his team are being vague about likelihood. Guess we'll see! He usually works full time  I study full time and we have 2 primary school age boys so juggling constantly. I'll let you know how it goes. 

• Hi, 

yes, daughter’s EBV level began to rise (no symptoms) and her team treated it well before it got to any problem level, with Rituximab, she had ‘pre-med’ as standard in case of any reaction, but had no appreciable problems!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Thanks moomy - i think you were around last time I was here! Musician daughter? Hope she's doing well x

• Yes, thank you, she’s doing ok, with the occasional blip. She’s needed immunoglobulin this last winter as her immune level was virtually non existent, and still has to remember to pace herself. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy