Stem Cell Transplant

• 57 replies
  • 17 subscribers

hi, my stem cells were harvested a few weeks ago. I am due to have beam chemo followed by stem cell rescue in early May. Is it possible for stem cells to have Lymphoma? If so then the stem cells which will be restored may have the disease.

• Hi Josh,

my, you’ve had a tough time but glad you’re more on the mend.

feet and ankle swelling (plus hands and fingers too) was something daughter got in the immediate post-allo stages, partly due to her eating problems (at that stage her counts were still low and her throat too sore for much) and I think also partly due to lack of exercise and not drinking enough! 
    but for you, perhaps keeping them elevated when you’re not mobilising might help? 
    are your eating and drinking back to normal? 
    have you discussed this with your team? They might need to check blood levels of everything....

hugs xxx

Moomy

• hi,

sorry for late reply, I haven't checked into the site for a while. I' am barely drinking 500ML of fluid per day. Appetite is OK.  My bloods are OK.

• Hi Josh, good to hear your bloods are good and you have your appetite.

The dinking thing is hard work and yes, 500ML is rather low so your kidneys are most likely not being worked enough. 

When I was struggling with drinking we keep a few bottles of water in the fridge and I set my phone alarm for every hour during the day and that was my signal to go and drink 150ML.

Over time it became a habit and gave me exercise as well. 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Josh,

yes that is indeed not a lot.....it takes perseverance to get more down you, and a habit like Mikes can help; I make it a rule to drink a half pint (yes I still think imperial) of water at night and a full pint first thing in the morning plus tea and coffee and the occasional big glass of water during the day. I got my hubs (who is diabetic) to drink a pint of water first thing in the morning and all his regular blood results are better too.

Hope you can manage to increase.

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• ps, you can improve fluid intake with soups, as well!

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• I had a tin of soup everyday as I found it easy to get down (and a lot tastier than the hospital stuff). I put things like lemon barley in the water also to give it a bit more taste to help me get through the required amount each day. 
    Regards

Mark 

• thanks everyone for helping with the fluids issue.:)

• It's been 18 months since my transplant. I had my bi monthly checkup 2 weeks ago. The doctor discovered hard tissue in my left armpit. They have scheduled a CT scan. I am very worried that the Lymphoma has returned so quickly, what are the chances that it might not be the Lymphoma?

• Let’s hope it’s not. I still have hard tissue (scar tissue) where my mass was. Best it’s checked out to rule Lymphoma out Fingers crossed

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Josh,

I too really hope it isn’t anything dodgy, but I’m sure there will be ideas should it be so. Please let us know

hugs xxx

Moomy