Admission date looming! QE in Glasgow

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hello all, I hope everyone is well! 

I'm being admitted at 9am on Wednesday (23rd) and my first batch of cells go in 1st February (cord blood comes in two batches) and found out last week that some of the tv's in the unit are broken Tired face so anyone who has been at the QE: what's the food like and what is the WiFi like?

Cord blood takes a bit longer to take (21-28 days) so I'm not looking forward to a month with no t.v. and no WiFi!!

• Oh noooooo! 

Hope the WiFi is ok and that therefore you can connect to iPlayer etc! 

Hope all goes as well as possible, will be rooting for you!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• All my treatment was across in The Beatson and both Wi-fi and TV were good and free.....and the food was ok as well.

But I am sure that  will pick up your post and she can talk to Katy’s experiences at QE.

These are good questions for your Transplant Coordinator. If there is Wi-fi issues you could get a short term contact for a laptop dongle or even a short extension to a mobile contract xx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Kirsty,

wow, time goes quickly and nearly time for admission. Mike is right, Katy was at the QE, the room is ok, the tv has the basic free view channels and I’m sure if there’s a broken one they will fix it. The WiFi is free but patchy at times. Katy had her iPad with prime and Netflix so she had plenty films. Katy said the food was ok, but she often had food from the soup place or the coffee shop when nic was there- she quite often ate from the children’s menu as she loves pizza! 

But the staff always had things like yoghurts and ice cream if she didn’t feel like much. 

The staff are very good, and anything they tell you is usually spot on. They will do everything to make you comfortable. 

Hope this helps, good luck and keep in touch x 

KT’s mum 

• ........oh Judith, the Soup Bar....could have done with this when I was across the other side of the Clyde.

It was the best thing about our weekly 9-10 hr round trip to post SCT clinics ;) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Yea if Katy asks us to take her through for her appointment we always head for there! Best soup going. 

KT’s mum 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Mum2k

I've heard a lot of good things about this soup bar! I love soup so hopefully I'm fit to make my way through their menu! It was at my appointment last week that one of the psychologists touched base just to introduce herself and mentioned that "quite a few" of the tv's have been broken for several weeks and I just thought noooooooo. My consultant at my other hospital told me about a cord blood transplant down at Kings where the patient was in for 12 and a half weeks waiting for blood counts to recover properly and again I thought nooooooo! Glad to hear you can actually use netflix and prime though that should keep me going. I've also asked for exercise bands to do proper stretches every day so it's my little goal to force myself to do that every day. I've got books I'm not confident I'll have the focus to read but I don't want my brain to switch off completely. My wee girl is coming for at least weekly visits at the weekend either the Saturday or Sunday so that gives me something to count: every time I see her we've got through another week. I've went from being convinced it's a death sentence to feeling quite positive and am feeling a bit like "bring it on" 

Fingers crossed this is the cure they want to achieve for me! Especially since there's no donor for top ups later down the line with a cord! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi Kirsty, 

Just dropped in for a look at the posts and came across yours. Turns out we were both in QE at the same time. I went in 15 Jan 2019, and got discharged 21 Feb. You don't get to meet any of your fellow guests as you spend all your time in your single room, but I just wanted to wish you all the best and hope your treatment went well. 

Now that I've been out for a few months I'm more in a mind to write up my experience on the discussion I started, and I'll do that in the next while. 

Cheers Mark