SCT waiting for pet result

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 50 replies
  • 13 subscribers

Hello everyone I haven't been in contact for a few weeks but need you all now. I have had my PET scan (after radiotherapy) and go for the result this Friday. If it is cancer clear I will start the transplant process on Monday 8th. Am getting very anxious now keep thinking "what if" Can't begin to imagine how I will be if it's a bad result. I have already had three sessions of Chemo  which all failed to clear the cancers. I think they call it "Refractory" DLBC. Any advice?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Many thanks  Mike, Moomy & Greg can any of you tell me how long it will be from the Harvesting process to the date of my admission for the transplant?

• Hi Gwen,

i think the timetable can be different from patient to patient, but it tends to be quite quick. If it helps I had my cells harvested on 14 September and they went back in on 8 October (3 years tomorrow!), so about 3 weeks (I asked for it to be delayed a few days to avoid my birthday).

Hope this helps

Greg

• For my two Allo's the times between my brothers harvest and me getting my cells were 20 and 22 days.

Edit: so that was 6 days and 15 days before I went into the unit to start conditioning.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

Many thanks Greg from Gwen x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Many thanks Mike x

• Hi Gwen,

once you’re firmly in remission, then the harvesting can be done. Then I think it was only a few days, perhaps a week for daughter to start her chemo. It’s not pleasant, it’s a tough chemo but it’s all do-able. And really does work well, they are so experienced these days at reducing all the unpleasant stuff! And the unit at the Christie is so positive an environment. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Dear Moomey  I had my  first high dose chemo yesterday  , went ok but had some tablets  after, the felt really rotten in the nauseous, dizzy and generally "off" took anti sickness pill and went to bed but due to amount of water I am drinking was up every hour or so for the loo, so not a good night. However I feel  better this morning. Am waiting now for the District Nurse to start the injections. I have been given some tablets to start on Friday  for some reason 5 days after the cycle starts, they are CIPRFLOXCIN and reading the leaflet in the box sound quite scary, do you know anything about them & side effects? I asked about the start date of my "conditioning , down for 22nd , straight after the harvesting next week, so no delay there  for which I'm very grateful. The waiting , I find is terrible. IMike tells me you posted some info about "Melphalin"  please can you tell me how I can access this Many thanks for your help.  Gwen x

• Hi Gwen, this will get easer as time goes on.

This is the link to the Melphalan Thread Have you actually been told you are having M? I had no problems with it. Started the Ice poles 30 mins before all the way through the M (30mins) and 30mins after. Make sure you use ALL the mouth wash stuff you are given so I had my phone set for every 3 hours so not to miss this and only had one small ulcer.

Oh the instructions on medicine :( the only part I look at is how to take them correctly, got this wrong a few times and that was why I was sick as I did not follow the instructions.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Gwen, 

ciproflixacin is an excellent antibiotic, one of the very few I can take now! 

Ask if taking Loratidine can help against the bone pain you get with those injections, it’s a one-a-day antihistamine so sounds a bit unusual but the USA do prescribe it for those jabs, I take it too for bone and joint pain from meds.

positivitty and hugs being sent for you xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Thanks Moomy, went to start the harvesting today, up at 5 for 8.00 appointment. They said the "predictor" blood test didn't show enough of the cells they wanted so postponed to Wednesday and  my transplant is obviously put back  as well. Very disappointed .Really wanted something positive to happen , oh well !!!   Gwen x