SCT Success Stories

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 157 replies
  • 23 subscribers

Hi there,

I was diagnosed with classical HL in October 2016.  Had 2 cycles of ABVD and got a clear scan.  Had 4 further cycles of AVD - clear scan.  Less than a year later, 7cm 'mass' in my chest.  Lit up like a Christmas tree, as did a lymph node in my neck.  Had a large biopsy (around 3cm) of the mass in my chest and it came back negative for lymphoma (thank God right?!) but left us in limbo.  Further scan, lymph node in neck still lit up so this week i'll have that biopsied followed by another PET scan next week.  My dr says if I have relapsed, it with be GDP chemo for me plus SCT.

I guess I'm after success stories?  There might already be a success story link if someone can point me in that direction?  Has anyone had GDP?  What was it like?  I head your hair may not fall out.... is this true?  Is there anyone out there a few years down the line and living the life of their dreams.  

I've been handling this really well and taken advantage of this 'limbo' stage that we've been in for the last three months.... but now it is coming to an end with this new biopsy and scan... I'm getting really scared and starting to lose hope.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Shelley

• Hi Mike,

its the ‘drug challenge clinic’ and yes, I too will be really interested. Supposedly they will give her a small dose and observe......

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Just realised that this date for the clinic is on September 21st, not this week!

sorry Mike, but will let you know how it goes

hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

OH MY GOSH!!! I didn't know any of these responses were here!  I didn't get any notification to tell me and thought I was alone!  I came on on the off chance since my appointment is in 25 minutes to discuss my treatment plan (lymphoma relapse confirmed five days ago) and look at all this!

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to tell me your story.  A few people said 'well, what is a success story?'  I guess a success story to me is someone who has had an SCT and is still alive an kicking and cancer free.  Whether that's one year, five years, ten or more.

In a couple of hours I should know what is going to be happening over the next six months.  I feel sick.

Thanks again x

• Lol Shelley, yes the email notifications have been going AWAL over the past few months so always drop in and check until someone kicks the server down in the cellar.

.......... and I think you have 'got' the SCT success journey, I do not like rollercoasters as they do make me sick but you are sitting on the SCT ride, you can not find a seat belt and all you see is a dark tunnel and someone is standing with their hand over the 'start' button. When it's pushed the Majical Mystery Tour starts and be assured that as we have done the journey before we are around to give you all the support you need and before you know it you will come out of the tunnel and everything slows down.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• slightly off track, but this weekend showed me why you Scotsmen have such strong constitutions! up  the hills of Edinburgh, packing in as much sightseeing as possible before the marvellous. tattoo ,  counts may still be very low , but i managed it , and enjoyer every minute !

• Oh Yvonne well done you :) :) :) 

Did you go up Arthers Seat???? if you did well done you and it's more than we have done. We had a week in Edinburgh living in our daughters house as they were away on holiday and did grown up things that you can't do with 3 granddaughters ;) but we looked at the Seat a number of times but....... 'well another time' We did do the Red open top bus for the first time and it was so good. Edinburgh is just so beautiful.

Believe it or not we have never been to the Tattoo......yes I know it's just not on, but we have never been able to get tickets as all these visitors take them lol....... but this is on our list as it would be great and as my Granddad was a piper in The Gorden Highlanders it is in my blood....... was it dry during the show?

Good to hear your doing ok even with the counts being low, I do think there is a point where you say 'what the heck, let's live'

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• no, my son and his gf went to Arthurs seat the day before i arrived,, went to the castle and botanic gardens which was beautiful,, we were at the late sat night show, and the last half hour we were drenched as it rained really heavily , but not enough to dampen our enjoyment of the fantastic show of pageantry !

• This is great Yvonne.

Sorry Shelley for the diversion but see it as being part of the success stories - I do hope you got on ok this afternoon.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Edinburgh is a great city: so beautiful, interesting history, and delicious restaurants! I would totally move there if hubby wanted to.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hey Shelly, 

thanks for sharing your story - it’s giving me comfort as I’m in a similar position. I also feel sick. 

I finished 4 cycles of ABVD on 24th April for early stage, unfavourable classic HL. Had a 3 month post chemo PET at the end of July which came back with a little spot in my mediastinum. 

Just had another PET on Monday as my haematologist was really nervous. Came back with a bigger spot in my chest, 4 spots under my left underarm and a spot on my liver. 

Biopsy is now the next step but after that, if this is the HL then it’s onto salvage chemo and a SCT. 

I’m terrified and devastated at the same time.