Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Feeling furious at the latest news from Govt (I suspect it’s to boost popularity and not thought through) that restrictions for self isolating with Covid infection may well end very soon?

what is that going to do to those who are very vulnerable (like both my - adult  - kids?) Daughter has had her 4th jab (booster) almost a week ago, Pfizer again, and was fine apart from a sore arm. 

Hoping everyone is doing as well as possible? 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• It was only time before this happened moomy. Up North we are still required to wear masks in most places but the talk is that most restrictions will be lifted by the end of this months but I will still ware my mask for a good period of time yet.

The big problem out there for us who are post SCT is in the reduction in children having the MMR vaccine so measles are coming back with a vengeance

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Bumping the thread for those on the post SCT journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Just for info…..

daughter has come down with Covid, had symptoms begin less than 24 hours following possible exposure. She did her emergency rapid PCR but they (she and partner) decided to preempt and try to get her antiviral treatment organised. She tested positive on Sunday, so Monday began with phone calls. GP sent referral for urgent treatment to Leicester and Northampton. (She lives in Market Harborough)  Northampton did the standard NHS triage over the phone and said she doesn’t qualify as her SCT is not recent.

Be aware, folk, of that fact! 

No, her SCT is not recent but due to her huge treatment load over many years she is now dependant on immunoglobulin to keep well.

So I suggested she call her Oxford immunology team. (She’s still under there as she lived in Henley, knows the team and likes them, don’t forget she’s still a hospital phobic!) They too thought she might not qualify but would get a doctor to phone her back. One phoned her back around 6pm Monday to say he’d prescribed an antiviral for her, to get there for midday Tuesday.

she duly did so (partner drove her of course) and by 4 she was on her way home after bloods, sats and a half hour infusion of Sotrovimab. She has a hospital issued oximeter now and daily Covid care at home phone calls for those sats for 10 days. She’s feeling ok though fairly exhausted. 

I’ve advised her to take it easy even if/when she feels well as we know Covid is a multi-system attacker. She’s promised to do so. 

While we were struggling with ‘the system’ as set out by the NHS, I phoned Blood Cancer UK for advice, they were incredibly helpful and asked me to keep them informed which of course I have, they even emailed me this morning for an update. The charity may be small but it seems fellow blood cancer charities are now linked up with them and they seem to be respected and are busy lobbying on behalf of all blood cancer patients.

Sorry for the long update but I felt it might be of something help to those like her, whose treatment may have been a while back but who still have ongoing problems.

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hope she is feeling OK Moomy. 

I tested positive on Saturday, had no symptoms so imagine I got it week before when I was abroad or on flight home last Sunday. NHS called me as I was on their at risk list, and said as no symptoms no treatment needed. They did say if I got symptoms to call them back and they would then revaluate.  Tested negative on Monday and thankfully all fine. 

So for me it appears that the jabs did the trick. 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Hi  and  sorry to hear this.

I tested covid positive on the 15th March 22 and within 24hrs of testing positive I was having a LONG conference call with my Consultant and an Infectious Diseases Consultant and the consensus if the discussions was that I would not have the antivirals as the symptoms I was presenting with would be like taking a sledgehammer to a nut…… and there is a ‘gray area’ as to what side effects the antivirals ‘could’ kick off with some rare conditions - best leave sleeping-dogs sleep. We agreed that how I am feeling is a very good sign that the vaccine program and me being so far out from treatment means my immune system is doing its job.

If things changed significantly over the next few days I could have called and got the antivirals but I honestly have had worse colds.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Awww, both of you, hope it leaves you safe and quickly too! 
    she looked absolutely awful when we facetimed on Monday and felt dreadful, now she just feels exhausted. I agree that many recently have said they’ve had worse colds, happened to my Bombe colleague too. 

i suspect that having avoided it for so long means that effective treatments are now out there. What astonished me was the speed at which she began with symptoms, she can only think that she was exposed in the gig she did with Philharmonia on the Thursday, she’d been at home all the previous week. so around 24 hours or less from being in public to feeling really rotten with cough, ‘thick head’ and very sore throat. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Three years today I had my transplant for relapsed AML. I had bone marrow rather than stem cells, not sure why my donor decided to do this as I believe he would have had to have a general anaesthetic to donate. Either way I am eternally grateful he gave me another chance of life. My consultant did say that there is less GVHD with bone marrow  though I did have some in my gut and skin. I had  quite a difficult time before and straight after transplant, I was in hospital for 6 weeks including a scary 8 days in critical care. Once home I think my journey has been relatively smooth ,only one week in hospital at about 5 months ,my medication stopped at 10 months and slowly life got back to normal.My skin is still temperamental and shingles popped up last year , also herpes simplex rears it’s ugly head on my back now and again.Most days I have lots of energy and I would say life is almost normal again(.I don’t think it will ever feel completely normal again after what we have gone through ) I am very lucky ,thank you NHS and thank you my unknown American donor ,and thanks for everyone in this group  for your listening and useful advice x

• Happy 3rd birthday Mark. The SCT journey does tend to effect how we move forward with life but the important thing we all have to do is take control as best as we can (within the limitations of late effects) and define how we live life rather than life being totally defined by our SCT experiences.

I am always surprised that someone would choose Bone Marrow donation over Stem Cell but the main thing he or she did it and you are alive because of their sacrifice.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Happy Re-Birthday Mark! 
    glad you’re feeling much back to normal, even though it has to be a new normal.

take care

hugs xxx

Moomy