Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Thanks for the update, great that she is being kept busy but safe transport will definitely be a problem Smirk

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Today’s news, ferritin levels are now 896, first time in over 8 years they’ve been below 1,000! The Oxford ream are pleased its come down so quickly without her being too anaemic in between. Levels were over 3,000. Nurse said they will probably leave her be once around 200. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Good news 

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Getting a Re-Birthday card ready for 21st of this month, it will be 10 years!

her partner has had Covid but they began being exceptionally careful when they realised a contact with a positive had been made (a shared bowl of crisps, that was all it took!) and partner shot off to mums near Ludlow the moment a positive LFT appeared, complete with Henry-pup.

Daughter and partner have been doing daily tests, partner got a faint positive on Thursday but a negative yesterday so tomorrow will drive home, hopefully will be strong enough. has been pretty knocked sideways and says it felt at high altitude every time walking around. Daughter is ok, phew! 

Stay safe, all 

hugs xxx

oh, and ps, have been looking after husband who has advanced kidney cancer and isn’t at all well

Moomy

• Hi …… its very hard to keep clear of Covid but we have to do the best we can. Good that daughter is well and let’s  see her partner being fit to get back to her.

So sorry to hear your husband is not well - sending ((hugs)) to you x

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• We had an interesting trip home from Surrey after being down to see our three granddaughters.

We stopped off half way in Kendal for an overnight, sitting having dinner and passed out…. twice but fortunately someone was on hand to stop me falling off the chair.

Paramedic arrived very quickly, my BP was in my boots, so this kicked my A-FIB off and my heart rate went crazy.

Blue Light down to Lancaster Hospital, the A&E consultant asked “have you ever had a heart attack?…..have you ever had to be zapped?” my answer was no “so let’s hope we don’t have to zap you tonight”

But a night of Beta Blockers and Blood Thinners and everything came ok. Eventually got back to the hotel for another night and came home the following day. Waiting to see my GP and in the meantime not allowed to drive for a month.

My post Malphalan left over gift Rolling eyes

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Mike...hope you feeling better now.

• Oh Mike, 

what a shock - for you both! Hope you recover speedily.

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Yes I am doing great, just taking the meds and patiently waiting for a Cardiology appointment Rolling eyes

Rather busy day today as I have done about 6 radio interviews (so far) for highlighting World Lymphoma Awareness Day Stuck out tongue winking eye

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Today is daughters 10th Re-Birthday! 
    Heartfelt thanks to the team at the Christie Hospital who got her to remission after 7 1/2 years of trying, and seeing her through the Allo transplant. Huge thanks to Thomas, her donor and the Anthony Nolan Trust who were instrumental in finding him!

Hugs xxx

Moomy