Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Hi Greg,

Hows the hangover? Surely you partied the night away after Leeds did you a massive favour? 
    I’m pleased we could help out a struggling Yorkshire neighbour. 
    Regards

Mark

• Oh Mark, I had to switch everything off at half time, I just couldn’t cope with it all! I think if I’d have been watching it live when that 91st minute goal went in, never mind 2 SCTs, I think that might have killed me off! Not been out of the bottom 3 since you beat us on 15th Sept - including lockdown that is over 300 days in the relegation zone, that has to be some sort of record, and to only come out of it with practically the last kick on the final day of the season - wow!

Of course, there is an asterisk next to it until next Friday - if the points deduction gets overturned, I will blow a gasket - nothing against Wigan and their fans, but given they’ve been spending beyond their means for a while (including signing our top striker for 4m this season no less), it is their own doing that they ended up in admin and they knew the rules. So yes, a 95% celebration was very much had last night, and I’ll enjoy the last 5% when everything’s confirmed next week!

And to think our 91st minute goal scorer (Clark Oduor) came from you guys, you must really have really wanted your troublesome neighbours to stay up! So here’s a big thanks from me!

Greg

• Not sure how many of you enjoy choral music, I volunteered for Eric Whitacre’s Virtual Choir 6, he wrote the music in response to the Coronovirus pandemic in March, those who signed up had a deadline to record our individual tracks in May which were edited incredibly cleverly into a huge choir track and film (over 17,500 singers from over 120 countries), and released on you tube on Sunday evening. The film echoes Kintsugi, in that the imperfections are celebrated with a joining of light (rather than gold as broken Japanese ceramics are joined) and I think the simplicity of the melodic line (deceptively simple for the actual singers!) adds a huge amount to the message of healing, kindness and togetherness. I hope, if you listen and watch, you enjoy it. I feel incredibly honoured to have been a teeny tiny part of it and our kids are both totally thrilled.

heres the link 
    https://youtu.be/InULYfJHKI0

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Today’s news; 

‘Sing Gently’ is at number 1 in the Classical charts! And the string quartet follow on version is number 3. And in the total (all genres) it’s at number 44! (I’m in the charts!) 

and daughter has bought her next van to get converted to a campervan! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Thats fantastic news, both the music and the camper van. 
    Hopefully the van can be ready so you can all get out and enjoy it soon and make the most of this nice weather. 
    Ive booked a week off so we will just be enjoying days out around Devon although it’s got very busy down here this past week or two. 
    Regards

Mark

• Just ‘found’ this after searching to no avail!

the new site is a total mess on the phone! 
    Hugs xxx

Moomy

• And I cannot get a sign in page AT ALL on my laptop, let alone sort out signing in with new password! 
    this is a mess!

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Supposedly yesterday was the day that all shielded began to join the population? As cases are still rising again? 

Daughter is reluctant as her
    immune system is virtually nil

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Moomy,

Yes, it’s a tricky one. I’m really happy that I am no longer being singled out that I need “protecting” like I am a leper or something, but on the other hand, I agree that it’s still nervous times being clinically extremely vulnerable. I’ve been going out a lot more recently and I feel safe. Shopping is not my thing, so I’ve not ventured into a shop. I’m also lucky that I can work from home (employers need to be held to account to keep an ex-shielding person safe if they have to physically go back to a particular location). I think my first big test is we’re due to resume U8’s football coaching this weekend - kids are not the best to maintain social distance, and neither is football. But I feel like I want to do it as it’s important for me to feel like we’re heading back to some form of normality. We have guidelines to follow. My main worry is the parents of some of the kids, I hope they treat the situation with the respect it deserves.

All the best

Greg

• Hi Greg, 

I hope that goes as well as possible if that’s what you feel is right for you.

Daughter has been away and mixed with folk (her brother and partner!) this weekend but at SD still. I suspect her teaching will be very difficult to keep safe; it’s one to one in small practise rooms, so I suspect her conservatoire teaching will still be via Zoom, especially as Manchester is in lockdown at present! Thankfully she has a few weeks before needing to decide. Her home studio has been an absolute boon, she’s been totally in front of the game as other musicians struggle to find ways to perform and mix tracks!

Hugs and stay safe xxx

Moomy