Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 26 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Hi Moomy 

Sounds interesting work. I reckon I could do that. What is the book genre that he writes? 

Take care 

I'm halfway to my destination, going to Wexford town, going away for a few days to let my head breathe in the South. See Highlander, I maybe already had the brain transplant! Or maybe I'm just super, smart, amazing, brilliant :) I was a milkman for 36 years, driving 600 miles a week. Driving is in my blood, I'm just so happy behind the wheel.

I've just had a well balanced meal in a branch of Burger King in a motorway service area, it remained on the tray as I took it to the table in my wheelchair. Well balanced indeed lol. 

• Hi Hope,

My author ‘boss’ is the author of the well researched story of Vlad the Impaler, otherwise known as Dracula. He himself was born in Transylvania and so research is now enjoyed travel as he’s now American. He and his wife are good friends even though living so far away! So of course I have to leave American spellings alone (argh!) as well as some of the phraseology, as the books are to be primarily released to the US market. Ah well, I still find other mistakes! 

Love the ‘Well balanced’ meal!!!!!

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Keeping infection free can be a big issue post SCT.

In my first 27 months post Allo I have had at least 10 infections with 4 requiring hospital treatment lasting 3 to 7 days.

What steps have you taken to reduce your infection risks?

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• thanks sue, all was well ,just had to go back on wed for 2 units of blood , and a bag of platelets , the man beside me was telling me he had just got over flu ,, so got a bit twitchy ., but obv he was over it and had chemo ,, them the man opposite had a high temperature ,,they said he wouldn’t be gettib treatment , a soc would see him,  when asked was he ffeeling unwell...”oh love, i’ve had terrible diarreah all week” ,. now i don’t get panic attacks, but i was near to one by the time i got out of there!... on the subject of blood,  God bless the donors,, from going in breathless , i woke yesterday feeling quite perky,,,as for the  drinks , i can tolerate one a day, but not the calogen shots  , they are vile 

• Mike,

I think the infection thing is for me one of the longer-term side effects of the transplant that I just have to put up with. With 3 young kids it is virtually impossible to avoid infection (unless I decided to close my bedroom door and never go out), so I am sure my body is living with a consistent level of infection. The key for me is to avoid the big ones so I sleep a lot more than I used to, eat as well as I can (or at least better than I did before illness) and stay as active as I can. I'm sure all of those basics give your body the best fighting chance. I have also not touched a drop of alcohol since transplant. Not really a conscious choice, it's just the maximum dose steroids I had to take with bad GvHD severely altered my brain, such that I don't ever want to take anything which is mind-altering again. I think this absence of alcohol probably helps too as it is known to reduce the effectiveness of the immune system. And stress reduction is a good tip too - I now care much less about things than I used to. Indeed, I am no longer shy in telling people to stay away from me if they are poorly! I almost flipped out at work last week when it was seriously raised in a manager meeting that people were taking too much sick leave and we should make it harder for people not to come in! Don't worry, I gave them a piece of my mind (what's left of it!!)

Greg

• Hi Yvonne yes God bless the donors, I've had my fair share, I don't go anywhere without my gloves on to touch door handles. In the docs if anybody sniffs,coughs or sneezes I move. I've got to see the consultant on the 29th at the hospital, I'll be armed with gloves and a scarf round my mouth. I've had my flu jab so that's a bonus. I'm still freezing most of the time, but eating much better and variety managed a curry this week.

Glad your doing ok Sue 

• Had a SCT clinic today with my head consultant as she comes to Inverness every 3 months to see all the SCTites rather than on VC and the best thing about her clinic being on a Friday is that her clinic is the only one on in Heamatology so I had the 30 seat waiting room to myself :)...... but who thought of putting the Heamatology Clinic at the back of the hospital - so mask with a scarf, touch as little as possible and a bottle of hand gel......... I think I made it out in one piece :)

So being 27 months post Allo I have eventually been moved from 3 monthly onto 6 monthly clinics :)

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Those moves to longer spells between clinics are milestones! 

But don’t relax the vigilance! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• mmm, i bought masks , then thought , oh no i would look daft , no one else wears one , clinic is the only place i have been in the 11 days from

discharge , to being admitted yesterday morning with flu,, so yes i shall be wearing a mask , was having transfusion  last week and the guy beside me was telling nurse he just got over flu ,, man in corner couldn’t get treatment cos temp was too high ,, have you been feeling unwell , yes had diorreah all week , but they left him sit there for an hour before they took him to x ray ,:.and i’m there like a sitting duck in the middle of them ,,, so mask it is !!!! lunch is just about to be served , i risking the italian bean casserole, who could eat minced pork ugh !

• Oh Yvonne sorry to hear you've got the flu, hope your better soon, I've just waded my way through a meat and potato pie, eaten the potato threw the rest, still can't get my head round liking meat! Take care