Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Thanks, guys!

i think the major interest here is two young ladies who have been through similar experiences but at the far reaches of the world and have never yet met! 

And yes, check out World Transplant Games, Markyflem, you might be interested! She is proud to represent Australia and posed for a photo in uniform which was on Facebook!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• I Markflem, yes they have age groups, I worked for one of the local authorities in tyne and wear and when gateshead have hosted the games we were involved as they used some of our venues, same this time round but I am retired now, they have been going for years.

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • And plans are scuppered! Daughter phoned an hour ago to say she is ill, sounds like a nasty cold and losing her voice! And they were ready to give her more immunoglobulins on Friday this week! Of course they now will need to wait till she is well again (Paul, did they avoid giving you igs if you were unwell? As that seems the case with the team at Oxford) 

but the Australian family are on their way, still coming here for lunch, hopefully the lasses might be able to meet at the end of The Games!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Ah, sorry to hear this moomy, warm healing ((hugs)) to your lass.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Aah Moomy, 

The best laid plans an all that. Hopefully they can catch up at a later date. 

I was talking online last night with a lady who was selected to represent Manchester in the GB games in track and cycling but became pregnant so couldn’t do it. You will probably know here as she was treated at the same hospital as your daughter approx 6 years ago. She even got to do a few training days with the GB cyclists team which must have been an experience. 

Enjoy your lunch and hopefully your daughter will feel better soon. 

Mark x

• Hi Mark,

the Christie is so big and busy that I am not sure we met! There were 18 transplant suites and I think the ward has grown since daughter was there as an in patient, but she did pop up a couple of weeks ago for some filming with a Dutch company for Life after Cancer. The hospital (especially the P-R department) knows she is accustomed to filming and it never fazes her so she’s happy to help out. 

Really hope she picks up fast, when her levels are low bugs really floor her, and being in London (as she was last week for work) doesn’t help! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• And she fought it off! 

So now Oxford are back onto the immunoglobulins for this winter...

just to let you all know we will be away from home and I won’t have phone or internet signal from tomorrow for just over a week, it’s our Golden Wedding on Friday (I honestly thought hubs would have bumped me off before now as I’m a pain!) and we’ve booked a big Landmark Trust house for the whole family plus dogs to prevent the kids from spending much to treat us (they did on our 40th and are both financially more challenged now!) 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Thanks for the update about your lass - winter is full of surprises, some we don’t like.

BIG congratulations on your Golden Anniversary  and have a great time away....... I will just be happy to see a further 10 years for our one.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• This photo popped up today in one of my feeds.. It was 7 years ago that I was diagnosed and then put in an ambulance for a transfer from the local hospital to Barts.. It was an early morning transfer and the ambulance crew stopped at a drive through MacDonald's for me so I could get some breakfast!!

7 years later I am still kicking and doing well although MacDonald's is a rare treat!

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Daughter is recording the Christmas Appeal on Radio 4 for Lymphoma Action today, it will be going out at different times on November 3rd, my letter in support of it will be included in ‘Lymphoma Matters’ next issue.

hugs xxx

Moomy