Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Hi Alissa, Have you tried "mindless eating". It is the opposite of "mindful eating" which is a technique used to help people lose weight. It really helped me when I was struggling to put on weight. Basically, it is to eat without thinking about it - eating infront of your favourite TV show, making snacking a habit, not checking calories/ingredients, etc - basically all the bad things that most are often told not to do. I had built up a pretty negative association with food due to GvHD, and it took me some time to break that down - it was all about switching the brain off - eating without thinking. It took time, but it slowly worked. Trying to make eating/weight not a "thing" was the goal - I didn't weigh myself unless my team forced me to.

Hope this helps

Greg

• Hi Alissa, 

Greg is right, that was another tactic that helped daughter too, she is slim even now but really struggled with eating post allo, and lost quite a lot of weight. I think it was mindless eating that helped her get back into the swing of eating, then she began to enjoy her food.

hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

I have put on too much weight now. I'd like to get back to where I was last summer (a stone lighter). Over the autumn I told myself I was being more active therefore building up more muscle (which weighs more). Then I told myself it was winter insulation going on. Now it's nearly spring, so no more excuses. My downfall is cheese, since the hospital didn't like me having (my favourite) prawn sandwiches when I ate lunch out. I guess tuna mayo ok?  So I end up having cheese and something panini every time in the hope the toasting has killed any bugs. Or an English breakfast. Next outpatients (in one week) I will ask what I'm allowed to eat now. I haven't been neutropenic for months, but they have only relaxed the rules very gradually. Presumably that's so I get used to one new thing at a time.

Certain smells still remind me of hospital food and put me off. Hot pastry smell mainly. And my laundry detergent makes my clean washing smell like hospital linens. 

Tessa

• Hi Tessa, 

smells are very potent reminders! (Maybe change fabric conditioner to help?!) 

I know boiled cabbage smell takes me right back to primary school dinners! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• I lost a lot of weight and struggled to eat for ages.  I wanted to eat, but had got out of the habit and just wasn't hungry.

I started to watch programmes like Saturday Kitchen and Masterchef a lot.  I honestly think that those images stimulated my appetite and made me fancy food again.

Now I am back to a healthy weight of around 60kg. I keep my eye on it and am careful if it goes up as far as 62kg.   I do love good food.  Mostly I cook from scratch, which tends to be less-fattening than eating ready meals.  I have to ration the baking - that's the downfall! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

Great advice, Greg. Thanks everyone for understanding.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I just thought I would update an earlier post of mine. I have finally had the last of my re-vaccinations. I'm told I will probably never be able to have MMR or shingles vaccine which is a bit worrying with all the measles about. But nurse says my immune system (which is still below normal) wouldn't cope with it. I have a little residual immunity to chicken pox.

My asthma has gone since the SCT, a common thing I'm told. But what about other allergies?  I used to get hayfever and avoided most things with perfume. My one treat was putting on a nice smelling hand cream at night. But I was warned to stick to non-perfumed skin products. I still use Diprobase as my preferred moisturizer. Last spring I was still banned from the garden during that hay fever season, but I'm wondering if I will be prone to it this year. Nose was tickling a bit this evening.  

Tessa

• Hi Tessa,

I guess at this point you hope they will think about immunoglobulin ‘top ups’ and hope you can keep away from snotty brats! 

Oddly I have heard that sometimes previous allergies can vanish after an allo.

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Tessa, great up date from you.

I am in the same position as you with regards to re-vaccination. I am on one antibiotic for life (Clarithromycin) and keep a stock of Aciclovir to use at the first signs of Shingles.

My new GP has also given me a course of antibiotics to be used if I develop chest infections as over the past three winters I have had Pneumonia a number of times.

We also paid for our 4 granddaughter to have extra vaccinations to help cover as much of the bases.

The Asthma thing is interesting, I have had Asthma most of my life and now it’s all but gone completely.

My brother was my donor and he has no asthma and is a long time pigeon racer - my team did say that this may well happen.

Went to my yearly asthma clinic a few weeks back and my peak flow is better than it’s ever been. We do also put this down to me being more active and exercising regularly.

Haven’t found the hay fever to be a problem so far over last years but we will see.

During the years of skin treatments due to my Lymphoma being on the skin I was using a big tube of Diprobase every week. I actually used it to shave with Flushed

My Dermatologist moved me away from Diprobase onto Hydramal as it was much better and had a soothing qualities.

You are doing great Tessa x

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• SCT:  the gift that keeps on giving - LOL!  

Finally I ditch all the steroids I had been taking for a year for acute gut gvhd.  I have been off them for six weeks and, 18 months post-transplant, my immune system is at last free to do whatever it is going to do, completely unfettered...

So what has it decided to do? I have swelling, pain and stiffness in every joint - feet, knees, hips, shoulders and hands. It's easier if I mobilise but when I stop, everything completely seizes up.   I'm guessing it's some kind of rhematoid arthritis-type thing.  

Anyone else had this? I am hoping it might burn out as the new immune system settles and stops behaving like an unsupervised toddler with a paint brush!  I had been looking forward to going back to ballet classes and yoga,  but I can barely walk!