Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Yay for ham salad and strawberries!!!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks all. I'm a bit confused over the soft cheese thing There doesn't seem to be an Ask a Dietician anymore on this site. I've left a message with my hospital team to see what they recommend.

I believe that I'm no longer on full neutropenic diet but roughly the guidelines they give to pregnant women. According to the NHS web site that means no mould-ripened cheese unless cooked, but I can have cottage cheese and feta. And shell fish ok if cooked. (I do like scampi and prawn omelettes.)

Bought yoghurt should have been pasteurised so ok, but avoid homemade. The British Dietician guidelines say much the same but warn that yoghurt labelling can be confusing (as I've already found) and that some yoghurts have probiotics added in after processing so avoid those.

Alissa - It says honey is ok if pasteurised and filtered, but try to have small jars or individual portions. A big jar open a long time may start to grow bacteria from the atmosphere. (I think that applies to most things really).

I will hold fire on all these until I get official advice but wondered what other people have been told. 

Tessa

• Yes Tessa see what the hospital comes back with as you are still on that hill climb....... don't do what I did, I was given the all clear from my dietitian and went straight out and had mussels and soft cheese after my first Allo ;) but as I was not ratting much after Allo number 2 it was months before I was faced with these choices.

At a Highland Wedding up in Royal Dornoch - The kilt and 30 degrees heat does not mix Slight smile

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hahaha, Mike, surely an upward draught under a kilt should be welcome?!?!? But yes, they are heavy, those kilts, whatever you wear underneath, there’s a whole lot of tweed there. 

Enjoy the wedding though....

Hi Tessa, 

I think the very worst that ‘mught’ happen is for an infection to come from your food, which is why I guess they are being very cautious with you as otherwise you’ve surely been a star patient, recovering steadily and well.

i feel you now know what to avoid; anything that might be risky, and I’m sure after all this time in avoidance mode you’re not likely to take any risks. 

Enjoy the semi-freedom!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi Tessa,

You are such a trooper - I can’t believe you stuck this out for over a year. I had 8 months of restricted diet and it drove me nuts (excuse the pun). When I was let off the leash, I took things slowly - one new food a day - that way I had a good mental record in case there were any problems. I am sure there’ll be a point where you feel you have the confidence to just go for it, but you’ve worked so hard to keep to the guidelines, another few weeks and you’ll be there.

Greg

• FormerMember

Yes pasteurized honey is okay but I don't think its something you can find in the US. I've been looking and haven't come across it yet. Which is weird because we pasteurize everything else!

• FormerMember

Hi hope58,

I'm recently diagnosed with MM and there is a possibility I will be receiving SCT at some stage after chemo. At the time I writing I have been unable to drive (serious arm trauma) and missing it terribly. My wife and are keen caravanners, and of late I've been planning a route to take on as much of the North Coast 500, as is practical with a caravan on the tow hook. There are plenty of sites around the route, which will give us some excellent bases to explore from. To be honest I'm not sure I will have sufficient energy to complete the leisurely 5-6 week trip planned for April/May/June next year, as it is looking like I will be finishing chemo Xmas/New Year. 

It is on my bucket list and my wife is more than happy to be a willing participant as breast cancer survivor herself. Thank you for reminding that I still need to do a great deal of research to include so many iconic landmarks.

All the best

GDFB

• Hi GDFB and a warm welcome to the Stem Cell Community but always sorry to see folks finding us. I see you have already connected with our Greg over in the MM forum so if we can help just give us a shout.

A SCT is a remarkable but at times challenging journey. My first Allograft (Allo for short) SCT was with cells from my brother, that was back in mid 2014 but that did not take so went back in October 2015 for a second go at it......... it's a long story that can be seen in my profile but jump to the ending I have now been in remission for two year and this is remarkable as I was first diagnosed way back in 1999.......you getting the smile.

If you do go on the SCT Rollercoster or have specific questions then I would always recommend you hit the 'Start a Discussion' tab at the top and set up new threads as this will keep your support in one place.

I have not heard from my friend for well over 5-6 months so I do hope all is well with him as I still have a glass of Single Malt on the table ready for him.

Being in Inverness we see everyone going on or returning from the NC500.... we did it years back when it was not a thing.... and when it was not so popular so let's look for you to do your journey at some point in time.

I will keep an eye open for you in the SCT Forum and as always you will find the folks very helpful as they do 'get' the journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hi Thehighlander,

In a word, yes I did get the smile, and a big one at that. It's always great to hear those who take on the fight and beat the odds. Bittersweet for me, as I lost my brother, and brother in law to bowel cancer, and my wife is 5 years breast cancer free. 

As you can imagine, I've been exploring and researching, although there is, a) no guarantee I will qualify for the CARDAMON Trial, and b) if I am accepted onto the trial, that the computer will select me for SCT. I'm just trying to educate myself in what to expect. 

All the best

GDFB

• Oh my! 

Later this month is daughter’s 7tb re- birthday, we just realised we need to find her a card, we always like to mark her allo re-Birthday as well as her proper one! It tickles her, she always has a big grin if she opens the card when she’s with us! 

Her SCT consultant was on BBC Breakfast today, talking about raising the awareness of blood cancers, only caught the end of it, he was with Dame Kelly Holmes, Dr Adrian Bloor. He spoke very well in the bit I saw, I thought.

hugs xxx

Moomy