Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• I’m grinning as I type this, daughter had  got to the point of cancelling a trip to Malta to perform in a big band, but she’s at the airport ready to go! Recovery from that nasty bug has been rapid and complete once she began antibiotic and saw some sun! Maybe she should move to a sunny country?!?!?

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• And daughter is up north, staying over for a few days in her camper van, visiting old haunts (also doing a bit of work at her old college) and fitting in her annual clinic visit at the Christie! No doubt some blood tests and then one of the consultants.....

She is still a bit ‘sinus-y’ and the cough is still bothersome at times, but I suspect this sun will help, plus Malta for a few days will have helped a bit too

She popped in here and stayed overnight as London all that way to Manchester after a day’s work felt a bit too much like a long drive (and the M6 was pretty rubbish anyway!) 

She has caught the sun a bit again in her 3 days in Malta, well, topped up the tan I guess....

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Good to hear she is on the up again.. 

I had a "post transplant late effects clinic" today at Barts which they have recently introduced in conjunction with Antony Nolan. Probably a bit late for me but it is for patients from 6 months post transplant.. they will find it very useful.

Whenever I get into the inner courtyard of Barts with the fountain I always have an incredible calm come over me and I feel totally  secure and safe. I had to go into one of the old buildings.. up the ramp and through the double doors.. the same doors that the ambulance crew wanted to push me in a wheelchair on the 5th of September 2012.. I told them "I will walk in and I will walk out when  I am cured".. I haven't been in that building for many years as they opened the "new" wards whilst I was there. Today I walked out of those doors and I fulfilled my promise to myself.. 

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• Anyone had hand joint swellings long after their allo? Daughter gets this in her hands from time to time, lasts a few days/weeks and goes away again. It's just happened again, can't fully make a fist. I suggested contrast baths but she's too busy at present. She wondered if cod liver oil might help, I said it might but she really should show her GP/consultant while it's bad. It might just be a complication years after allo/all her treatment, some sort of arthritis. Just another thing to add to her many small glitches! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Hi moomy no swelling but lots of times when my hands go stiff like all my muscles have contracted so lots of stretching........ but cod liver oil???

Its so frustrating as my hand can get clamped round the neck of my guitar and I have to peel it off.

((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike, 

Yes, cramps,  I suspect are a result of some slight neuropathy affecting the tiny blood vessels in hands and feet. Have you had all blood levels  checked, as sometimes it can be low potassium levels? Daughter gets them too, it occurs most when hands or feet are cold/same position for ages. 

Cod liver oil purely as a longer term anti-arthritic pain relief, plus it's well known for preventing winter bugs, which of course she gets! It's one thing she looked up for herself, and I'm not going to knock it! Bless the girl, if it helps then that's fine! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Ah bless her It can be rather sore at times, like holding a pen..... or the slid of a Trumbone :(

Yes bloods are great but as you say I have been working through PN for a few years now and the more active I get the more it is fighting back at me but i will win. But I think I will get some Cod Liver Oil Caps...... I have increased my oily fish like herring and sardines.

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Great reading everyone’s experience. Mh husband had is allo stem cell transplant 20th Dec 2017, we travelled home from London in Feb. it’s been a difficult journey,  back in hospital so often. Whenever things start to feel like maybe they’re improving we seem to end up back in hospital- vomiting, fever, bacterial infection etc. mouth sores are an issue, can’t gain weight at all but not much appetite either. No sense of smell or taste. We both thought by 6 months post transplant things would be slightly easier. We’re definitely finding these to be difficult times, our 4 year old keeps asking when will daddy be able to pick her up again. 

• Hi  it can be such a hard journey and I do totally understand ALL the issues you both have been facing...... it just can take time and it is a battle of attrition....... and its a massive battle between the ears.

We are in Inverness and my SCT unit was in The Beatson in Glasgow so an 8 - 10 hrs round trip every time for all the treatments, clinics.... I think we did the journey 30 times over my two Allos.

Infection is the bad boy in the camp. I am now up to 4 stays in our local hospital (over the past wo winters) for a total of about 25 days with Chest Infections, Lung Fungal Infections, the RSV Virus, Pneumonia, Sepsis and two months of low blood counts caused by GvHD so regular blood transfusions every second week and GvHD of the skin. I was left with Peripheral Neuropathy in my hands and muscle pain in my neck and legs but am working on these and finding continual improvement ....... but the memories of this is becoming very fuzzy at the edges and if I was not helping on the forum I think some of the memories would have gone by now.

I am now 20 months in remission and in September last year I eventually got my Whole Blood Lymphoid and Myeloid Lineages to 100% Donor for the first time :)

I was the same with our 4 Granddaughters but they were very good at being Doc Mcstuffing and fussing around me but my two daughter and my wife were running after them with anti-mac wipes...... it became obsessive ;)

The food thing is hard but little and often with high protein foods. I lived on home made soups, rice, custards, scrambled eggs and cheesy mash for 3 - 4 months then one day I woke up and asked for a bacon roll ;)

Highlander ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Bauloe,

The best I can say is keep plugging away. It was just over 8 months for me when I felt like I turned a corner. It is different for everyone, but this phase won't last forever.

All the best,

Greg