Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Hi Charlotte and moomy!  

Thanks for the hugs and sympathies!  Yes, Charlotte - I was under Dr Richardson at first but see Dr Orchard more often now.  I have just moved to the Late Effects clinic in the afternoon.

Interesting that you got similar symptoms, Charlotte, which ties in with what moomy suggested, as an effect of steroid use.  I did taper off them all incredibly slowly this time - even more slowly than the slow regime I was given the first time around!  I thought doing it really slowly might trick my gut gvhd into not noticing it had gone.  Either that worked, or the gvhd was ready to give up anyway!  Hang on in there - it does go in the end.  I found taking pro-biotics helped and I first realised something was improving when my gut started to gurgle alarmingly for a few weeks. 

I tapered off the steroids 1/4mg every 2 weeks and then, only if I was completely symptom-free. I was only on 5mg maintenance anyway.  I had been off them all completely for four weeks before having any symptoms and had none during tapering. 

I do hope that this resolves as it would be really miserable long-term.   I really hope that steroid-use is the explanation and nothing more sinister.

Sheri xx

• Ooh the late effects clinic - the stuff of dreams! Well done! I expect we must have crossed paths at Thursday morning clinic at some point. 

Ugh the gut GVHD is hard.  I was on C6 for six weeks with it earlier this year.  Tapering has gone ok until I got down to 5mg but now I'm starting to have some flare ups and having to be extremely careful what I eat. I have two young children so they're keen to get me off the steroids asap. 

I hope the pain and swelling resolve soon - really would recommend the glucosamine chondroitin- Debbie was fine with me taking it.  It took about a week before it kicked in. 

Charlotte 

• My gut gvhd recurred when I tapered off completely, but held at only 5mg when I went back to that. I needed the Budesonide at that dose and noticed a difference without it.  I was in C6 with it in February 2018 and it took a year to clear altogether.  The biggest problem is that my immune system has been suppressed all that time and so I'm still at risk of infection.  I haven't been able to have any revaccination a yet. I have tiny grandchildren that I need to be careful around, but it must be so much harder for you with small children. 

Hang in there! It does settle down in the end and I keep reminding myself that the gvhd is the trade off for a lower risk of relapse. 

I found some glucosamine in that back of the cupboard and I've started to give it a go. Fingers crossed! 

Say hello if you see me at clinic! I still go to C7 monthly for pentamidine. 

Sheri xx

• 13th June 2014 was my first Allo SCT...... ok, it did not work first time but it was the beginning of the rest of my SCT Journey.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I’m reminded to post, to say that daughter is doing well after that incredible week of care, it enabled her to really get on top of the infection! She’s back working and feeling well. Just as well as her Russian trip is coming up fast......

hugs xxx

Moomy

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to moomy

Last Saturday was my second re-birthday. It rather passed me by as I was busy getting on with normal life. Today I had outpatients (with new lady doctor) - because of the anniversary the questioning was a bit more thorough than normal. I won't get today's blood results for a bit, but last time round my immune system was up to 0.29 on the scale where 0.3 is normal. She may take me off co-trimoxazole if it's still good this time, but wants me to go back on Vitamin D which I stopped taking at Easter when it got sunny. The doctor thinks my low level may explain my muscles aches. She didn't seem too concerned about small rashes I've had in armpit and elbow joints - just treat with appropriate creams.

Tessa

• Happy Re-Birthday Tessa! 

I suspect vitamin D really does help with aches and pains!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Tomorrow lunchtime will be interesting, I will be hosting lunch at home for two allo patients to meet for the first time! 

An Australian allo survivor, her husband and 3 year old daughter will be coming here for lunch (she’s competing in the Transplant Games in Newcastle) and our daughter will be driving up (with puppy) to have lunch too. 

I've met her and her husband last time they came to the UK well before their daughter was born but our daughter was on tour so they didn’t meet. It’s going to be a busy day!

hugs xxx

Moomy

• Sounds like a good day ahead. I didn’t know they did a transplant games, that sounds interesting too. Do they have age brackets? If I get back to my running it would definitely be something I would be interested in but being an old man would restrict me against the younger ones! 

Enjoy your day. 

Mark x

• Sounds fun , have a great tome.

I help my Nurse Consultant do a monthly Heamatology Support Group in our local Maggie's Centre and have a few folks getting ready to go through an Allo and one doing an Auto.

The amazing thing is that the lad doing the Allo has the exact same condition as me with only 350 diagnosed in the UK in any year that is amazing and he is doing the same treatment plan with the same SCT Team - small world.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge