Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Tessa, this is frustrating.

I have to say that my GP surgery was great with my vaccination.

My vaccination schedule was sent direct to my GP, at my first appointment following it coming out to them we talked everything through. I just had to arrange all the dates to see the surgery nurse and the shots were waiting for me every time - no hassles. 

Yes, no measles and mumps and with four granddaughters this could be fun. My daughters also paid for all the girls to have the Chicken pocks vaccine done to try and protect me from shingles as I have never had CP but still have a stock of Aciclovir just in case :) 

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Tessa

I think there is a bit of a shortage but I would imagine they will sort yours out as the shortage isn't supposed to affect normal immunisations which is what you are actually getting. Once the GP gets their head around the fact you are just getting all your childhood jabs again it tends to go smoothly.

Likewise I still haven't had MMR as it is a live vaccine but I have been told maybe next year if my immune system decides to wake up in the spring when I am due yet again to try and come off immunoglobulins and see if my counts hold up after a few months. In the meantime I will continue to top myself up at home every couple of weeks which so far has kept me free of any bugs and colds etc for the last 3 years.. Have managed to keep well now that I am off penicillin as well. (touching a lot of wood as I type!

Flu jab was fine a couple of weeks ago and just had a slightly sore arm for a day or so.

Paul

What is a Community Champion?

You can speak to someone in confidence by calling Macmillan Support on 0808 808 0000 - 365 days a year 8am to 8pm It's free from mobiles and landlines. The friendly team are waiting to take your call.

• MMR is ok if you need it but be aware you will feel pretty rough for a complete week! Daughter was working in a measles hotspot so they felt they’d rather her be protected just in case, it was a full 2 years post allo though. We are still not sure if her vaccine has given her much protection. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Definitely agree on the MMR Moomy. I had mine in early September and about a week later I came down with a bad illness - couldn’t get out of bed and almost 40 degree temp for a couple of days. It was not conclusive what it was but antibiotics sorted it out. No-one I know was ill and early September is an odd time to get ill. I think because it is the first live vaccine you get post-SCT, that my fledging system was a bit like, “what the hell is this!”

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

What the... what?! Um, now I'm all freaked out. I don't want to be sick from vaccinations!

One year post sct is around the corner. Biopsy, more shots, less meds. Gah!

• Sorry Alissa, I didn’t mean to freak you out! You have probably gathered by now that there is no one size fits all to all of this, so you’ll probably sail through the vaccinations. I only posted it as a potential of what might happen, because as per usual with me I go into things blindly and then the world falls apart when something unusual happens! So just wanted people to know if they did get poorly after the MMR jab to not worry about it. I was perfectly fine again after a couple of days.

All the best,

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

I feel that a couple of weeks illness would be a price worth paying to have better life-long protection and feel more at ease in social situations. Fortunately I don't come into close contact with any small children I know, but find myself cringing away from any strange ones that get too close in a café or shop.

Tessa

• Happy Birthday, just had mine . I'm doing ok no signs of anything and I'm fit and well so Consultant Wednesday and she said she'd love to let me go 6 months but I'll have to stick to every three for the time being. So I've had my flu injection very sore arm but im ok. I've a cold at the minute but it's not too bad. Still golfing and going to Zumba and flying all over the place . Went to see the titanic exhibition in Belfast it was amazing.

I've put two kilos on over 12 months so that's ok. Planning ahead as usual with trips abroad. No mention made to me re immunisation thought it was two years before they could give you anything. Onwards and upwards 

Sue 

• Hi Alissa, 

as Greg says, not everyone gets bad symptoms from vaccinations post allo! You’ll probably sail through it all, plus the MMR is not always needed. It just so happened daughter was about to work in a recent measles ‘hot spot’ so they felt as she was 2years post allo and well, it would ensure she didn’t get ill. Her symptoms were interesting, and tied in with the incubation period of each of the three illnesses, firstly a mild fever and feeling a bit ‘off’ which tied in with Rubella, having a very short incubation, then high fever and feeling shivery and unwell, that tied in with measles, she did phone in as her temp was so high but they reassured her and said to take paracetamol to reduce the temp but phone again if she had any other symptoms, then the temp reduced but she got aching jaw and face, which of course was mumps, which has a very long incubation. 

But it meant that she was safer when working in South Wales, the measles hotspot at the time, so it was worth the week of feeling a bit rough. Oddly, the booster didn’t cause any problems whatsoever! 

Hugs xxx

oh and Happy Re-Birthday to those who have theirs around now! xxx

Moomy

• Hi everyone,

daughter has been having frequent hits of immunoglobulins this winter, (about every 2-3 weeks) the blood test previous to the most recent one had a baseline of 6, which is the low end of normal they told her, so after the I/G she was higher than that.....depending on what they find in a while they may suggest reducing the dose or the frequency, who knows? But at last this winter she has been infection free so far (fingers firmly crossed!) 

and thats 7 and a half years post allo. But she had such a lot of treatment before that, 7 1/2 years of it!

hope you all have as happy and healthy a Christmas as possible....

hugs xxx

Moomy