Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Hi Tessa,

Many thanks for sharing this insight, I think it really helps us to remember that this is a long term journey with SCT. The more I rationalise it in my mind, the more I digest just how significant a procedure it is that we have all undertaken. Effectively we have all put a different person's immune system into our bodies - I can't even begin to get my head around actually what is going on inside us. As time goes on and the SCT begins to fade to memory, I always think it is worthwhile to remind ourselves just how traumatic an event we have gone through. But then again, I always tell myself what was the alternative? I would most likely be six feet under by now!!

I really do hope that your results are just a temporary blip on your road to recovery. Around 9 months post-transplant, mine were still very much still playing silly beggars. Indeed, my immunoglobins are still low now over 2 years post-transplant, and my consultant was fairly open in saying that it might be like that for life. But I still come back to my point above. I am glad to be alive!

All the very best,

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to greg777

I forgot to say that the doctor advised me the best way to improve my immunity was to eat more protein. That really surprised me as when you look at general advice on boosting immunity protein isn't very high on the list.

Tessa

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Fascinating Tessa, a wonderful description. Keep well and my friend, the Highlander, is a great source of information. 

• Interesting comment about protein helping immunity, Tessa. However, it hasn't helped daughter so far in her 6+ years post allo! I guess there are always exceptions.....I do know that protein helps build back after any illness, and certainly is important for wound healing. So yes, I remember that a reasonably high in protein diet was one we made sure she had after she was able to eat more freely! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Such an interesting subject.

Following my second Allo I was referred to a dietitian and she was great. I meet her the first week I was home from Glasgow and every three weeks for 3-4 months. We went through the strategies we should look at to keep my food intake at a good level during the months I just did not want to eat and to help put some weight back on.

The one thing she said was to have 2 eggs every day, so I had two scrambled eggs with cheese every morning for the first 3 months and even now 27-28 months on I still on the whole have two boiled eggs even morning as she said it was one sure way of getting a daily protein fix. 

This is from one of the info sheets she gave me:

Your body uses amino acids found in dietary proteins to help build proteins within your body - including proteins that help make up your immune system. For example, immunoglobulins - also called antibodies - are proteins that circulate in your blood and make up key components of a strong immune system. Proteins are also part of antibodies, interferon and complement proteins that support immune system cells or attack viruses, bacteria or other foreign substances in your body.

Now I don’t understand every thing in that ;) but I do see the importance of protein in our diets and she told us that we need 15 - 20% protein every day to help our White Blood cells and therefor our immune system.

Hi  my friend good to hear from you. You are doing some great work in the ‘Incurables’ Just got a bottle of 12 year old Singleton of Dufftown Single Malt so I will raise a glass for you tonight :)

Have a great weekend everyone, the sun is out in the Highlands but snow is on its way AGAIN ;)

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Thehighlander

Hello my good friend Highlander. 

Thank you for the kind words but I must say that the little work I'm doing in the incurables is a small patch on the work that you do. I'm just hanging around until I have to go to the doctor's to get bloods taken ready for my visit to the cancer unit in Belfast next Thursday. Yeah, it's almost a week away but Monday is a sort of a holiday here in lieu of St Patrick's day which is on Saturday. I'll be sitting with a couple of Guinness watching Ireland beat England in rugby. 

I'm going to put a post on chat soon about a horrendous statement in a user instructions manual for a dishwasher I bought recently. It's so discriminatory however I have a little smile on my face when I read it!

Take care my friend and I hope you enjoy your Single Malt tonight  

• Interesting post from your dietician, Mike, goes to bear out what I've always said about proteins being the 'body-building' scaffolding which I've described to daughter before now. 

Her present diet is excellent, being high enough in proteins, and a wide variety of fruits and vegetables as well as of course, her beloved pasta for sheer energy! I'm proud of how she manages, and she cooks for her housemate too, who keeps very healthy as a result! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Tonight was a Gold Star evening, daughter performed a concerto, ‘Arrows of Time’ and we, the rest of her family, were soooooo proud! 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Ah moomy this is amazing. I am so happy for your lass as this is a further mile stone in her post treatment journey. Its been a long road for all the family and to see and hear this will have given you all goose bumps and a little tear in the eye xXx

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Mike, it was the first trombone concerto that the orchestra had played in their 124 year history! 

Thrilled at how wonderful she looked and sounded, she said afterwards there were a few ‘bum notes’ but nobody would have realised! 

She just now has to battle the very, very low immune system, as each and every cold she gets seems to drag her low!

Hugs xxx

Moomy