Life after a SCT - A Survivor's Guide

• 580 replies
  • 25 subscribers

Let's see if we can collect some helpful information and real life experience that we can signpost folks to after they have come home from their Stem Cell Transplant.

A couple of useful things I found were:

My Consultant told me that going through treatments like these was like doing a boxing match and a marathon every day over the months of treatments and this was done without any training.

Think doing the London Marathon without any training and you had to finish it as your life depended on it……. this is the journey you have been on so it most likely will take much longer than you would think to get back to some normality - it took me a good 2 years and I was 60 at the start of my recuperation.

Yes some folks bounce back quickly post treatment but more than often folks take a considerable amount of time to recover.  6 months is the average recovery time…… at 3 months post my second SCT I was just out of my wheelchair and able to do a few steps with my walking sticks…. I was not able to feed myself due to my bad Peripheral Neuropathy and even then I was not eating much……. Your body has been through far more then you imagine so be kind to yourself, give yourself a break as you are doing good and honestly this will pass.

My consultant also gave me this basic scale for classifying where I was on the recover journey.

50% = when in the hospital going through the transplant process.

60% = significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any physical activity apart from a shower and short walk and not able to prepaid food. Reliant of others for preparation of food.

70% = Significant medical/physical issues that do not allow any specific physical activity (not including a shower) but short walks and making a pot of soup. Will nap after the task.

80% = Physical issues that limits you to one activity per day. (not including shower) Able to prepare some food for a couple of people but most likely still taking a nap after activities.

90% = Some physical issues remaining (weak legs etc) but able to do a few tasks and may not be fully fit for permanent work but could do part time work. May have to .take a nap after doing tasks or work.

100% = No physical after effects and able to do multiple tasks including being back to work.

She also said on average the recovery is about 6 months with your recovery improving about 10% per month post SCT

A web page by the Anthony Nolan Trust - The First year post SCT (link)

A web document by Dr Peter Harvey - Life after Treatment (link)

• Oh  my parents had the same problem with my eldest brother, she even took them across the Irish Sea, my mother and father have been heartbroken at not being able to be grandparents all these years, unfortunately she could not break the strong bond that was between us as brothers and sister. He left her after 37 years and had a happy 8 years with a new wife who brought him over regularly to do family get togethers. Unfortunately dad had passed away and mum had dementia, but we had lots of laughs together. Unfortunately I tragically lost him in September 2015 just before I was diagnosed with NHL I speak to my other remaining brother daily. 

His son who is now 42 wants to know why things are estranged, one day! Maybe.

My son though lives 4 hours away make the most of the grandchildren contacting us as he remembers how his nan suffered not seeing his cousins

My husband has been my rock and my other remaining brother, I'm just so glad I won my battle to be with them and enjoy the rest of my life.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to fanilow

Hi fanilow, 

Yep , Yvonne has summed it up well, it is what was coming into my head also but I'm trying not to be so direct these days although it's difficult not to in this case. Yvonne and I are from the same part of the world although I moved out of Belfast when I married, almost 40 years ago. Please don't be upset if I tell you that I'll get back to you later, it's just that I've had a difficult night painwise and I'd like to try to get some sleep before my wee darling of a grandson comes hurricane-like into the bedroom to jump on us. 

No one should be treated as you have been by the mother of all Bitches and I would guess that you don't want pity for pity's sake.  What you need now is friendship from those who are in the same boat . Glad to hear that your husband is in better shape. I'll be in touch later Fanilow.

Take care. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Question for those that are well down the path. Did you put back the weight you lost and when? I'm not sure if this will be a specific SCT issue or I should ask on a general forum. I'm debating whether to get rid of my baggy clothes and buy new or will I need them again.

• Hi Tessa, I lost about 27Kgs over the first 6 months with my chemo then first SCT. It stayed like this for the next 18 months then slowly went back up so I have put back on about 14ish Kgs.

I went down two waist sizes then went back up one.

Good question.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Tessa,

It took daughter quite a while to gain the weight she lost, as we suspect she had a touch of gut GvH, and seems still to have a low wheat and lactose tolerance which give her bloating and then ‘the runs’, she is still slim but a good weight, she was always slim, became too thin with all the years of HL, varied a little but is now more stable. 

Hugs xxx

Moomy

• Oh I hope hubs doesn't lose much (but sounds like most people do). He lost nearly 30kg from the chemo alone (well he did have septic shock twice) 

Did any of you SCT folk follow special diets BEFORE you went in?  Like thinking I want him as healthy as poss?  Did any of you take supplements, vitamins, "magic potions" whilst you were undergoing the conditioning and immediately after?

Im (As the wife not the patient) so scared of the SCT - I know the books give you all the "worst case scenario" and it's good to hear so many on here have done it and...not only survived but in many cases beginning to thrive.

*Learning God is in control and every day holds the chance of another miracle.*

• Hi all,

I lost about 25% of my body weight (about 20 kgs) which was mainly caused by gut GvHD. I had big problems with eating for about 6 months, but then steadily climbed back such that I have just got back to my pre-transplant weight 2 years post transplant. Now the challenge is to stop eating all the bad things I was actively encouraged to eat! And I never thought I would get back to this position. My gut feeling (excuse the pun!) is that things start to settle down about one year post SCT and most people start to put back on what they lost.

Jaymacabc - I didn’t follow a special diet but I think just eating generally healthily in the run up to SCT is a good idea. One tip from me is to eat things you don’t mind hating in the future - I think for a lot of people you can get negative associations with certain foods you had during SCT - for me it is Knorr gravy, tinned carrots and almond milk - I won’t touch that stuff ever again!

And thanks all for the kind words re: my new grand title of Community Champion! I think my main job is to help out on the myeloma forum but i’ll still be keeping in touch with my SCT friends!

Greg

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jaymacabc123

Be careful of taking supplements etc as they can have a bad interaction with your prescribed drugs. In fact I'd say don't take anything unless you discuss with your team. I was also told to avoid grapefruit with one particular drug.

He will probably only want plain food in modest quantities. Little and often is best. 

I actually lost more weight after I got home. I think that was because the hospital treatment included lots of iv fluids.

Some years ago I was given a herbal tonic for a bad cold. I was allergic to one of the ingredients and got heart palpitations and panic attacks. When your system is already depleted is not the time to start experimenting with things your body isn't used to.

Stay away from magic potions, please.

Tessa

• Greg good tip eating foods he may not mind never eating again lol.  The mental aspect is huge.  

Tessa - yeah we'd always run stuff via his consultant.  

He is taking Vit D and turmeric which the consultant knows about and is fine with 

*Learning God is in control and every day holds the chance of another miracle.*

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to jaymacabc123

I was going to mention turmeric. Interesting article on Cancer Research UK website. They say the culinary spice is safe and some trials show a benefit especially in preventing solid tumours. But you need to consume a large amount to get the benefit. Its the curcumin component that is the good stuff but your gut will only absorb a small percentage of it. That website cautions against turmeric tablets because of the extra ingredients. But a question to the pharmacist on the Macmillan forum said they were safe. I guess it depends on the brand.

In general trials Curcumin was found to reduce inflammation.

Sounds promising but I feel more research is needed.

Tessa